Generating Functional for Yukawa Interactions

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the connected two point function for the interacting boson-fermion theory using the generating functional Z(J, \overline{\eta}, \eta). The connected correlation function G_C^2 (x_1 , x_2) is found using the identity and Z, but it is unclear how to compute it. The question also asks about finding the two point function for a scalar to scalar process with a fermion virtual loop.
Phileas.Fogg
Hello,

I want to derive the connected two point function for the interacting boson-fermion theory.

I know that the generating functional is

[tex] Z(J, \overline{\eta}, \eta) = N \; exp \left( \int d^4 z \; L_{int} \left(-i \frac{\delta}{\delta J(z)} \right) \left(-i \frac{\delta}{\delta \overline{\eta}(z)} \right) \left(-i \frac{\delta}{\delta \eta (z)} \right) \right) [/tex] [tex] exp \left( -\int d^4 x d^4 y \left[ \frac{1}{2} J(x) i \Delta_F (x - y) J(y) + \overline{\eta}(x) i S_F (x-y) \eta(y) \right] \right)[/tex]

The connected correlation function is

[tex] G_C^2 (x_1 , x_2) = \left( -i \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} \right) \left( -i \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_2)} \right) i W(J) \quad |_{J=0}[/tex]

I found the identity

[tex] \left( -i \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} \right) \left( -i \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_2)} \right) i W(J) = \frac{1}{Z} \left( -i \frac{\delta}{\delta J(x_1)} \right) \left( -i \frac{\delta }{\delta J(x_2)} \right) Z - \frac{1}{Z^2} \left( -i \frac{\delta Z}{\delta J(x_1)} \right) \left( -i \frac{\delta Z}{\delta J(x_2)} \right) [/tex]

But I don't know, how to use it with the given Z.

How do I compute the correlation function [tex] G_C^2 (x_1 , x_2) [/tex] ?

Regards,
Mr. Fogg

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm interested in this too. How do I find the two point function for the scalar to scalar process, with a fermion virtual loop?

1. What is the purpose of the Generating Functional for Yukawa Interactions?

The Generating Functional for Yukawa Interactions is a mathematical tool used to calculate the properties and behavior of a system involving interactions between particles that follow the Yukawa potential. It allows for the calculation of various physical quantities, such as scattering amplitudes, cross sections, and decay rates.

2. How is the Generating Functional for Yukawa Interactions derived?

The Generating Functional for Yukawa Interactions is derived from the path integral formulation of quantum field theory, using the functional integration method. It involves summing over all possible paths of the particles involved in the interaction and weighting them by their respective phase factors.

3. What is the role of the Yukawa coupling constant in the Generating Functional for Yukawa Interactions?

The Yukawa coupling constant dictates the strength of the interaction between particles. It appears as a factor in the exponent of the Generating Functional, affecting the overall amplitude and probability of the interaction occurring.

4. How is the Generating Functional for Yukawa Interactions used in practical applications?

The Generating Functional for Yukawa Interactions is used in various theoretical and experimental studies, particularly in particle physics and quantum field theory. It allows for the prediction and analysis of various physical phenomena, such as particle scattering and decay processes.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions associated with the Generating Functional for Yukawa Interactions?

Like any mathematical tool, the Generating Functional for Yukawa Interactions has its limitations and assumptions. It assumes that the interactions between particles follow the Yukawa potential, and may not accurately describe systems with different interaction potentials. Additionally, it may become difficult to use in systems with a large number of particles, making approximations necessary.