Geodesics in 4D Spacetime: An Overview

In summary: The geodesic equation is ##\gamma_0+\Delta r^2+\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^3}{\partial y^3}=0## where ##\Delta r## is the deviation of the geodesic from a straight line. For the 4-D spacetime in question, the Christoffel symbols are ##\Gamma^1{}_{x^2+y^2}## and ##\Gamma^2{}_{x^2+y^2+z^2}##. Solving for ##\Gamma^i{}_{jk}## yields ##
Apashanka
The geodesic for 2-D, 3-D are straight lines.
For a 4-D spacetime (x1,x2,x3,t) what would be it's geodesic.??
The tangent vector components are ##V^0=\frac{∂t}{∂λ} , V^i=\frac{∂x^i}{∂λ},i=1,2,3## & ##(\nabla_V V)^\mu=(V^\nu \nabla_\nu V)^\mu=0,(\nu,\mu=0,1,2,3)##

Physics news on Phys.org
Geodesics are generalisations of straight lines to curved spaces. In any flat space they are going to be straight lines regardless of dimensionality.

Orodruin said:
Geodesics are generalisations of straight lines to curved spaces. In any flat space they are going to be straight lines regardless of dimensionality.
Sir one thing to clarify ,the curve traced by a particle in the 4-D space time in it's rest frame is a geodesic??
In rest frame ##x^\mu##={##\tau,constt##}
IMG_20190302_170516.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190302_170516.jpg
    IMG_20190302_170516.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:
Apashanka said:
the curve traced by a particle in the 4-D space time in it's rest frame is a geodesic??
Only if the particle is inertial. The worldlines of non-inertial particles are not geodesic. Also, the frame doesn’t matter

Apashanka said:
The tangent vector components are ##V^0=\frac{∂t}{∂λ} , V^i=\frac{∂x^i}{∂λ},i=1,2,3## & ##(\nabla_V V)^\mu=(V^\nu \nabla_\nu V)^\mu=0,(\nu,\mu=0,1,2,3)##

It's not clear from your posts that you are studying GR in any systematic way. Your questions show a lack of knowledge of basic concepts such as spacetime, coordinate systems, reference frames and the relationship between the physics you are trying to learn and the mathematics that underpins it.

In terms of geodesics, you should be developing your knowldege in a systematic way. You may approach the subject in many ways, but not all at the same time. For example, you might meet geodesics as solutions to the equations of motion for a given spacetime geometry. This could be developed from the Lagrangian principle of maximal proper time. Then, you might meet geodescics again in the light of the covariant derivative and more generally in terms of differential geometry and manifolds.

But, you can't dive in from all directions at once.

I'd also say that unless you have a rock-solid understanding of Special Relativity and other prerequisites - such as Lagrangian mechanics - you are largely wasting your time, as any knowledge you gain with your haphazard approach will be fragile and transient.

You must find yourself a reputable textbook and work though it systematically, taking time out as necessary to study the physics and mathematics that are prerequisites to the study of GR.

Dale said:
Only if the particle is inertial. The worldlines of non-inertial particles are not geodesic. Also, the frame doesn’t matter
That means the world lines of all inertial frames are geodesic irrespective of frame

Apashanka said:
That means the world lines of all inertial frames are geodesic irrespective of frame
There is no such thing as the world line of an inertial frame. I am sorry, but as has been pointed out already in this thread and others, you seem not to have the proper foundation to stand on to learn relativity at this moment in time. I would suggest that you work through the basics before attempting relativity.

Likes weirdoguy
Apashanka said:
Frames don’t have worldlines. However, the integral curves of the tetrad of an inertial frame are all geodesics. Also, particles at rest in an inertial frame have geodesic worldlines

Last edited:
Apashanka said:
the 4-D space time

Which 4-D spacetime? You keep on using the term "the 4-D spacetime" as though there were only one. There are an infinite number of them. You need to specify which one.

Likes Dale
Apashanka said:

Step 1. Write down the geodesic equation - equation 56 in Carroll's treatment. Look it up.

What's the metric of the 4-d spacetime in question?
From the metric, compute the Christoffel symbols ##\Gamma^i{}_{jk}##

Can you solve the resulting equations?

1. What are geodesics in 4D spacetime?

Geodesics in 4D spacetime refer to the shortest paths between two points in a four-dimensional space, taking into account both space and time. They are the equivalent of straight lines in three-dimensional space.

2. How are geodesics related to Einstein's theory of general relativity?

In Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is described as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. Geodesics are the paths that objects with mass follow in this curved spacetime.

3. What is the significance of studying geodesics in 4D spacetime?

Studying geodesics in 4D spacetime allows us to understand the behavior of objects in the presence of gravity and to make predictions about the motion of celestial bodies. It also helps us to better understand the fundamental principles of spacetime and the nature of gravity.

4. How are geodesics calculated and represented mathematically?

Geodesics are calculated using the equations of general relativity, which involve the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of mass and energy. They are represented mathematically using tensors and differential equations.

5. Are geodesics always the shortest paths between two points in 4D spacetime?

Yes, geodesics are always the shortest paths between two points in 4D spacetime. This is because they follow the path of least resistance in the curved spacetime, similar to how a ball will roll down the steepest slope on a curved surface.