Geometric series algebra / exponential/ 2 summations

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that two series are equal and the use of Taylor expansion to simplify the problem. The individual is unsure how to continue with the problem, but mentions that the solution likely involves finding an expansion in terms of ##q^{m}##.
binbagsss
Homework Statement

I want to show that ## \sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} log (1-q^n) = -\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}\sum\limits_{m=1}^{\infty} \frac{q^{n.m}}{m} ##, where ##q^{n}=e^{2\pi i n t} ## , ##t## [1] a complex number in the upper plane.

Homework Equations

Only that ## e^{x} = \sum\limits_{m=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{m}}{m!}## [2]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see that both series start from ##n,m=1## in the RHS of [1] , so if I use [2] starting from ##m=1## will result in the '1' cancelling as needed i.e. I have ## \sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} log (1-q^n) = \sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} log (\sum\limits_{m=1}^{\infty} \frac{(2\pi int)^{m}}{m!})##

I don't really no where to go now, I don't see how you can get another expansion in terms of ##q^{m}## from this to give the required ##q^{n.m}##, I can see there's a minus sign too but I'm struggling to use this as a clue as well.

Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am also struggling to show that ## \sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} n \frac{q^{n}}{(1-q^n)} = \sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} n \sum\limits_{m=1}^{\infty} q^{m.n} ##

I'm guessing it's the same things I'm missing in both cases...many thanks in advance.

Unless I'm missing something, isn't this just a matter of Taylor expanding ##\log(1-q^{n})##?

Likes binbagsss

1) What is a geometric series in algebra?

A geometric series in algebra is a sequence of numbers where the ratio between each term and the previous term is constant. The formula for a geometric series is a + ar + ar^2 + ... + ar^n, where a is the first term and r is the common ratio. This type of series is commonly used in financial calculations and growth models.

2) How is the sum of a geometric series calculated?

The sum of a geometric series can be calculated using the formula S_n = a(1-r^n)/(1-r), where S_n is the sum of the first n terms, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio. This formula can be derived by multiplying the series by the common ratio and using the formula for the sum of a finite geometric series.

3) What is exponential growth?

Exponential growth is a type of growth where the rate of increase is proportional to the current value. This means that the growth rate gets larger and larger as the value increases. In algebra, this is represented by the function y = ab^x, where a is the initial value and b is the growth factor.

4) How is exponential growth related to geometric series?

Exponential growth can be represented as a geometric series, where each term is the previous term multiplied by the common ratio b. This is because the growth rate is constant and the value increases exponentially. In other words, exponential growth can be thought of as a continuous geometric series.

5) What are 2 summations in algebra?

In algebra, summation is a notation used to represent the sum of a series of numbers. A 2 summation is a type of double summation, where two variables are used to represent the indices of the series. For example, i=1nj=1m aij represents the sum of the terms a11, a12, ..., anm and is commonly used in matrix operations and calculus.