Geometry - calculating a distance

• Thread starter Chetlin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the distance from the center of one circle to the center of a curvy triangular region between three tangent circles. The solution involves using the properties of a 30-60-90 triangle and realizing that the answer is R \sec 30^\circ. One person uses a picture to solve the problem while the other person simplifies the solution by considering the 30-60-90 triangle formed by the center, the center of a circle, and a point of tangency.
Chetlin
Geometry -- calculating a distance

Homework Statement

I'm trying to calculate the distance from the center of one of these three tangent circles to the center of the entire shape (that is, the center of the "curvy triangular" region between the circles). Each circle has radius R. Here is a picture of the circles:

M7mpW3k.jpg

The distance is apparently [itex]R \sec 30^\circ[/itex] (equal to [itex]\frac{R}{\cos 30^\circ}[/itex]), which is [itex]\frac{2R}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex].

Homework Equations

I guess the only one would be that [itex]\cos 30^\circ = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to solve it just fine by drawing a triangle, using the centers of the three circles as the angles, and drawing some more lines bisecting the angles (also splitting the opposing side into two equal halves), and then using properties of "30-60-90" triangles (which I guess is technically using sines and cosines) to figure out the same answer:

VOIpHpe.jpg

I don't understand, though, how you could see that the answer is [itex]R \sec 30^\circ[/itex] right away without doing all this. Am I able to realize this from the picture I made? I don't see how I could come up with that answer even after drawing the picture.

Physics news on Phys.org
We can call the distance you want, h, and it is the hypotenuse of the 30-60-90 triangle you found. You have take R to be a constant, assume as if known, but h is unknown. You can say
h*cos(30)=R
h=R/cos(30)
h=R/(sqrt(3)/2)
h=2R/sqrt(3)
h=(2/3)*R*sqrt(3)

Your use of making a picture was good. Making a picture like that allows to see and label how several useful parts are related and so this is easier to analyze and solve. Most people can not handle everything, including the picture and labeling, in their heads.

Likes 1 person
At a glance consider a 30-60-90 right triangle formed by the center, the center of a circle, and a point of tangency. R is a side and we want to find the hypotenuse so we have R/cos 30 degrees

Likes 1 person
lurflurf said:
At a glance consider a 30-60-90 right triangle formed by the center, the center of a circle, and a point of tangency. R is a side and we want to find the hypotenuse so we have R/cos 30 degrees

Haha, wow, that was pretty simple. I guess I didn't see it because it's not that intuitive when you don't have all the extra lines drawn on (especially the fact that the triangle is 30-60-90).

Thank you to both of you!

1. How do you calculate the distance between two points in 2D space?

To calculate the distance between two points in 2D space, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. This states that the distance (d) between two points, (x1,y1) and (x2,y2), is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the differences between their x and y coordinates. In equation form, it would be:
d = √[(x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2].

2. Can the distance between two points be negative?

No, the distance between two points cannot be negative. Distance is a measure of length and cannot have a negative value. It is always a positive value or zero.

3. How do you find the distance between two points in 3D space?

In 3D space, the distance between two points is calculated using the same formula as in 2D space, but with an additional coordinate for the z-axis. The formula would be:
d = √[(x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2 + (z2-z1)^2].

4. Can the distance between two points be calculated if they are on a curved surface?

Yes, the distance between two points can still be calculated on a curved surface. The formula for calculating distance on a curved surface involves using calculus and is more complex than the Pythagorean theorem. It takes into account the curvature of the surface and is known as the arc length formula.

5. What units are used to measure distance?

Distance can be measured in various units, such as meters, kilometers, feet, miles, etc. The units used to measure distance depend on the scale and context of the problem. For example, distances between cities are often measured in kilometers, while distances between objects in a room are measured in meters or centimeters.