Geostationary satellite collision - Orbits

In summary, after a meteorite and geostationary satellite collide, the meteorite has a linear and angular momentum. Energy is not conserved over an inelastic collision, and the post-collision velocity can be determined.
unscientific

Homework Statement

A geostationary satellite of mass m, speed v orbits earth.

(a) Find expressions for
(i) Radius of the orbit, r0.
(ii) Satellite's Speed

(b) A meteorite with mass m and speed v approaches in the direction towards the centre of the Earth and collides with the satellite. What is the linear and angular momentum after the collision?

(c) Find the minimum and maximum radius of orbit. Hence find out whether the body would collide with Earth eventually.

Use GM = 4 * 1014 Nm2kg-1

The Attempt at a Solution

1jxmyt.png

345lbtj.png

So I found that the satellite will collide with earth.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks nice - do you have a question?

Some things spring out at me right away:
1. there is no discussion or statements about assumptions - i.e. there should be more writing.
2. the speed of an object in a circular orbit is easily found from the circumference and period of the orbit.

Simon Bridge said:
That looks nice - do you have a question?

Some things spring out at me right away:
1. there is no discussion or statements about assumptions - i.e. there should be more writing.
2. the speed of an object in a circular orbit is easily found from the circumference and period of the orbit.

Is there anything wrong with my answer?

Apart from what I already said?
Depends on what you hoped to achieve - what you really need is some way to tell for yourself when you have the right answer. One approach is to work out what your answer means physically and see if that makes sense.

After all - what would you do if two of us replied and one said you were right but the other said you were wrong?
Mind you, it's a lot easier to check if you explained your reasoning as you go.

unscientific said:

Homework Statement

A geostationary satellite of mass m, speed v orbits earth.

(a) Find expressions for
(i) Radius of the orbit, r0.
(ii) Satellite's Speed

(b) A meteorite with mass m and speed v approaches in the direction towards the centre of the Earth and collides with the satellite. What is the linear and angular momentum after the collision?

Is the collision elastic or inelastic? Are you looking for the total momenta of the system, or the individual linear and angular momenta for two separate objects (assuming perfectly elastic collision).
(c) Find the minimum and maximum radius of orbit. Hence find out whether the body would collide with Earth eventually.
Again, is the satellite stuck to the meteorite at this point, or are they separate objects?

gneill said:
Is the collision elastic or inelastic? Are you looking for the total momenta of the system, or the individual linear and angular momenta for two separate objects (assuming perfectly elastic collision).

Again, is the satellite stuck to the meteorite at this point, or are they separate objects?

The collision is inelastic, as the object sticks together with the satellite. I used the conservation of angular momentum. But since it is an inelastic collision, is energy conserved?

unscientific said:
The collision is inelastic, as the object sticks together with the satellite. I used the conservation of angular momentum. But since it is an inelastic collision, is energy conserved?

Kinetic energy is not conserved over an inelastic collision. Momentum is always conserved.

It should be straightforward to use conservation of momentum to determine the post-collision velocity of the combined object. Then you have position and velocity vectors, hence enough information to determine the orbit elements.

gneill said:
Kinetic energy is not conserved over an inelastic collision. Momentum is always conserved.

It should be straightforward to use conservation of momentum to determine the post-collision velocity of the combined object. Then you have position and velocity vectors, hence enough information to determine the orbit elements.

With the new velocity, i can determine the total energy after the collision, which will give the right answers. So the value of E in my previous answer is wrong then.

What is a geostationary satellite?

A geostationary satellite is a satellite that orbits the Earth at the same speed and direction as the Earth's rotation, allowing it to stay in a fixed position above a specific location on the Earth's surface.

What is a collision between two geostationary satellites?

A collision between two geostationary satellites occurs when two satellites in the same orbit come into contact with each other, resulting in damage or destruction of the satellites.

Why is a collision between two geostationary satellites a concern?

A collision between two geostationary satellites is a concern because it can cause significant damage to the satellites, which are expensive and essential for communication, navigation, and weather forecasting. It can also create debris that can pose a threat to other satellites in orbit.

How can a collision between two geostationary satellites be prevented?

To prevent a collision between two geostationary satellites, precise calculations and constant monitoring of the satellites' orbits are essential. Satellites can also be equipped with propulsion systems to adjust their orbits if needed.

What happens if a collision between two geostationary satellites does occur?

If a collision between two geostationary satellites does occur, it can result in damage to the satellites and create debris in orbit. This debris can pose a threat to other satellites and spacecraft, as well as increase the likelihood of future collisions.