Get Help: Don't be Embarrassed

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, people who get embarrassed when asking for help usually do so because they are worried that the person they are asking will scold them, or because they are not familiar with the material and don't know where to start. These people eventually learn how to ask for help without feeling embarrassed, and receive it from friends or professionals who are willing to help them.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Do you get embarrassed when you ask for help, may be you have to swallow your pride and be put on the right path.

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
Do you get embarrassed when you ask for help, may be you have to swallow your pride and be put on the right path.
Not at all.
I have some problems when asking for help from my teachers face to face, but that's not for pride. That's because sometimes I guess I get scared thinking that they may scold me for asking stupid questions. But I always ask my friends to help me.

In here, I was also scared to ask my stupid questions at first, but then, I got help from all these amazing people on PF, from which I could clear all the doubts I had.
So, no. I get scared sometimes maybe,but I don't get embarrassed.
And thank you all for being there and helping us. :smile:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and wolram
Yes, sometimes. Not because of conceit, but because I fear that the information that I’m lacking has already been shared and that it is merely my own fault that I wasn’t paying attention and missed it.

Some people seem so tired or stressed. Making them annoyed by having them repeat information (especially technical material) bothers me.

Likes Pepper Mint
wolram said:
Do you get embarrassed when you ask for help
Usually not, although I don't often ask for help.
When I do, though, I try to exhaust the obvious possibilities before asking.

If it's a question about where I happen to be located geographically at the moment, I rarely ask for help. I enjoy finding new routes to places, just to see what's there, and this can lead to becoming lost, at least temporarily. I live in an area with lots of winding roads that wander all over the place. It has taken me some time, but I know my way around the area within a 20 mile radius pretty well.

1. What does "Get Help: Don't be Embarrassed" mean?

"Get Help: Don't be Embarrassed" is a statement that encourages individuals to seek help for any issues or struggles they may be facing, without feeling ashamed or embarrassed. It is a reminder that it is okay to ask for help and that seeking support is a sign of strength.

2. Why is it important to not be embarrassed when seeking help?

Feeling embarrassed when seeking help can prevent individuals from reaching out for support and can lead to further isolation and negative feelings. It is important to remember that everyone faces challenges and asking for help is a normal and healthy response to these challenges.

3. Who can I reach out to for help?

There are many resources available for individuals seeking help, such as friends, family, therapists, counselors, support groups, hotlines, and online resources. It is important to find a support system that feels comfortable and supportive for you.

4. What should I do if I am embarrassed to seek help?

If you are feeling embarrassed to seek help, it can be helpful to remind yourself that asking for support is a sign of strength and courage. You can also talk to a trusted friend or family member about your feelings, or seek professional help from a therapist or counselor who can provide guidance and support without judgment.

5. How can I overcome the stigma of seeking help?

One way to overcome the stigma of seeking help is to educate yourself and others about the importance of mental health and seeking support. You can also challenge negative thoughts or beliefs about seeking help and remind yourself that it is a brave and necessary step towards healing and growth.