Getting a PhD Abroad: GRE, Tips & Challenges

• MHB
  • Thread starter Swlabr1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary: I'm definitely interested in hearing more about your experiences, so go ahead and start a new thread!
Swlabr1
Fantini said:
Given the thread name, I'd like to pose a question here. I'm in my third undergrad year and planning to get my PhD abroad. Do you have ideas on how hard it is, what are good tips regarding that, etc. I know I'd have to take the GRE, but not much beside it.

This is an entirely new question - you really should start a new thread, to stop confusion. If by `abroad' you mean the states, then yes, you'd need to take the GRE. However, you wouldn't need to take it if you were going to, for example, the UK.

As for `how hard', I think the best way of putting it is that getting into grad school is `competitive'. If you are better than the other applicants you will get a place with funding, otherwise you might just get a place and no funding, or even just neither. The trick is to be better than the others (or at least persuade your prospective supervisor that you are the best thing since sliced bread and then get them to fight your corner).

(Also, if by `third year' you mean your final year, you should probably get cracking if you are wanting to apply to start after the summer!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Following suggestions, I'm creating a new thread.

I'm in my third undergrad year and planning to get my PhD abroad. Do you have ideas on how hard it is, what are good tips regarding that, etc. I know I'd have to take the GRE, but not much beside it.

Swlabr said:
If by `abroad' you mean the states, then yes, you'd need to take the GRE. However, you wouldn't need to take it if you were going to, for example, the UK.

(Also, if by `third year' you mean your final year, you should probably get cracking if you are wanting to apply to start after the summer!)

The states were on my mind, but not limited to it, UK does sound a great option (stop by and say hello to CB
:D). It's not my final year yet, that'd be next year, much to do. However, beginning preparations now seems reasonable.

Fantini said:
Following suggestions, I'm creating a new thread.

I'm in my third undergrad year and planning to get my PhD abroad. Do you have ideas on how hard it is, what are good tips regarding that, etc. I know I'd have to take the GRE, but not much beside it.The states were on my mind, but not limited to it, UK does sound a great option (stop by and say hello to CB :D). It's not my final year yet, that'd be next year, much to do. However, beginning preparations now seems reasonable.

When I was applying, the goal was to have submitted all my applications by Christmas, which I think is relatively normal (for the UK anyway).

I believe the best way to get into a PhD program is to get a prospective supervisor and persuade them that they want to take you on. This has two benefits: firstly, it ensures that your application will be read (I am unsure about for PhDs, but for postdocs there are so many applications that they just cannot read them all!), and secondly you will have someone in the university willing to fight your corner.

So, find a few people who tickle your fancy at different unis, and e-mail them (or even send them a letter - no-one does that nowadays...). They should tell you how to apply, and when to apply by, etc. You could even get them to look over your application for you!

To find these people, you could try asking around your department.

Surely will do, thanks for the tips. As for now, my interest lies in the broad area of geometry. It's like I instantly fall in love with whatever piece of information I can get regarding geometric objects, intuition, facts, work with them, develop machinery, understand concepts. My second interest would be analysis, last but not least algebra. However I try to keep a not so imbalanced view to avoid pitfalls (work too much on one while leaving the other in the dust).

Your post gives the impression that your PhD was in another country, is that right?

All mathematicians need analysis, algebra, and topology.

I wholeheartedly agree, but I don't have many examples to draw from. My pursuits fortunately seem to be free of nearby influences, narrow-minded people.

Fantini said:
Your post gives the impression that your PhD was in another country, is that right?

Well, I did my undergrad in the UK and am doing my PhD here too...so if you mean "another country than the US" then yes, but if you mean "another country from where I did my undergrad" then no...

It would be the second option. :P But thanks.

Related to Getting a PhD Abroad: GRE, Tips & Challenges

1. What is the GRE and how important is it for getting a PhD abroad?

The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is a standardized test used by many graduate schools, including those abroad, to assess a student's readiness for advanced studies. It consists of sections on verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing. While the importance of the GRE may vary depending on the specific program and university, it is generally considered an important factor in the admissions process for PhD programs abroad.

2. What are some tips for preparing for the GRE?

Some tips for preparing for the GRE include familiarizing yourself with the format and content of the test, creating a study schedule and sticking to it, practicing with official GRE study materials, and seeking out additional resources such as tutors or study groups. It is also important to get enough rest and stay focused and motivated during the preparation process.

3. What are some challenges that international students may face when pursuing a PhD abroad?

Some challenges that international students may face when pursuing a PhD abroad include cultural differences, language barriers, adjusting to a new education system, and potential financial constraints. It may also be challenging to navigate the visa and immigration process and find suitable housing in a new country.

4. Are there any specific requirements or qualifications needed for international students to be eligible for PhD programs abroad?

Yes, each university and program may have specific requirements and qualifications for international students. These may include a minimum GPA, English language proficiency test scores (such as TOEFL or IELTS), and specific application materials. It is important to carefully review the requirements for each program you are interested in and ensure that you meet all necessary qualifications.

5. How can I make the most out of my PhD abroad experience?

To make the most out of your PhD abroad experience, it is important to immerse yourself in the culture and community of your host country, make connections with professors and fellow students, and take advantage of any opportunities for research, internships, or networking. It is also important to balance your academic work with self-care and exploration of your new surroundings. Additionally, staying organized and staying on top of any administrative tasks, such as obtaining necessary visas and permits, can help make the experience smoother and more enjoyable.