Getting Into Scientific Computing & Career Options in Computational Science

In summary, After considering a physics degree, the speaker has decided to pursue a CS degree with a focus on scientific computing. They plan to do independent study and research and are wondering if a math minor would be beneficial for their future career in this field. They are also curious about job opportunities in scientific computing. The speaker believes a degree in applied math with minors in scientific computation and physics would have been a better choice for their interests.
lubuntu
After a long bumbling few years and with much help on various thread from the physics forums folks, I think I am now going to take the path of least resistance and finish up my CS degree.

Prior I had planned to go through with a physics degree, but it just isn't practical at this time and I want to get out of school for at least a few years sometime soon.

So I don't really want to go the typical CS route and become a boring Java developer or something, I'd like to get involved in scientific computing and computational science.

I figure I'll do some independent study and research as my school doesn't offer too much in this regard. Will I have to get a math minor to be really competitive in this field? I'd like to head into a Master and/or slightly possibly a Ph.D. in this field in the future, what else should I consider as I'm finishing up my degree.

Also, where does one find jobs in scientific computing? As much as I look all I can find is the typical IT type jobs, I'm not really sure to look for something more specific to my interests and get a sense of my career options.

Thanks again Physics forums.

Physics news on Phys.org
ps. How much better would my background in this field be if I major in math and minor in cs?

There's a lot of industry jobs for scientific computation and the like and no it's not IT work. There's really a whole lot of applicability depending on how you specialize. You could do more like engineering simulations for new products and such or you could do ground water modeling (which, I'm told, is more interesting then it sounds) or atmospheric modeling. In general, computational modeling and simulation.

I actually have a computational science/physics specialization degree and looking back I think a degree that was more applied math with minors in scientific computation and physics would have been a better build.

Related to Getting Into Scientific Computing & Career Options in Computational Science

What is scientific computing?

Scientific computing is the use of computational methods and techniques to solve complex scientific problems that cannot be easily solved by traditional analytical methods. It involves using computer programs to simulate, analyze, and visualize data in various scientific fields such as physics, biology, chemistry, and engineering.

What are the career options in computational science?

Career options in computational science include working as a computational scientist, data analyst, software developer, data scientist, or research scientist in fields such as biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, finance, and environmental science. Other options include teaching and consulting roles in academia or industry.

What skills are required for a career in scientific computing?

To pursue a career in scientific computing, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, computer science, and programming languages such as Python, R, and MATLAB. Additionally, knowledge of scientific principles and the ability to think critically and analytically are essential skills for success in this field.

What are the benefits of a career in scientific computing?

A career in scientific computing offers numerous benefits, including the opportunity to work on cutting-edge research and contribute to advancements in various scientific fields. It also offers a high level of job satisfaction, a competitive salary, and a wide range of career options in diverse industries.

What steps can I take to get into scientific computing?

To get into scientific computing, one can start by pursuing a degree in a relevant field such as computer science, mathematics, or a specific scientific discipline. It is also beneficial to gain hands-on experience through internships, research projects, or online courses. Networking with professionals in the field and staying updated with the latest technologies and advancements can also help in securing a career in scientific computing.