GhostSurf just marketing fluff?

• Thread starter Nereid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Marketing
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a privacy tool and its effectiveness compared to other methods such as using NAT, Firefox, and encryption. In conclusion, the participants suggest that for most individuals, basic methods like NAT and Firefox are sufficient for privacy protection. However, for those dealing with more advanced threats, using an encrypted loopback device and hijacking a wireless connection may provide better security.
Nereid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
... and others like it.

Does any PF member have experience with this (that they'd be willing to share)?

The write-ups and reviews lead me to think it could be a nice thing ... for someone like me who really, really likes their privacy. But is it just marketing fluff? Could I do the same thing within XP (+NAT on my router + Firefox + ...)?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I went to their website and this looks bogus to me. All it looks like it is doing is cleaning up your cookies, etc with one of those utilities that write over and over the same piece of data like the government does. If you want true security look at what the hackers do. They take over unsuspected peoples' computers and setup an encrypted proxy network. Once you have enough computers it is very hard the track you down. Don't even use your own internet connection, hijack some wireless connection. And finally, use an ecrypted loopback device, which linux provides.

So unless your dealing with an international cartel, I don't think you should be worried that much. NAT+Firefox is just fine. You can even put a software firewall on your own computer for extra protection. I do this because it is easier to mantain ports open based on which operating system I'm working with.

GhostSurf is a virtual private network (VPN) software that promises to protect users' online privacy by hiding their IP address and encrypting their internet traffic. It also claims to block advertisements and prevent tracking by third-party websites. Similar software to GhostSurf includes NordVPN, ExpressVPN, and CyberGhost.

While GhostSurf may offer some level of privacy protection, it is important to note that no software can guarantee complete anonymity and security online. Some experts argue that VPNs can actually create a false sense of security and may not be as effective as advertised. Additionally, many of the features offered by GhostSurf can also be achieved through other means, such as using a private browsing mode on your browser or using a reputable ad blocker.

In terms of whether GhostSurf is just marketing fluff, it's important to carefully consider the claims made by the company and do your own research before making a decision. Reading reviews and asking for personal experiences from other users can also help in determining the effectiveness of the software.

Ultimately, whether GhostSurf or any other similar software is worth it for you depends on your own personal preferences and level of concern for online privacy. It may be worth trying out a free trial or doing more research before making a final decision.

1. What is GhostSurf and how does it work?

GhostSurf is a privacy and security software that allows users to browse the internet anonymously by hiding their IP address and encrypting their online activity. It works by routing user's internet traffic through a network of servers, making it difficult for anyone to trace their online activities back to them.

2. Is GhostSurf just marketing fluff or does it actually provide real benefits?

GhostSurf is not just marketing fluff. It provides real benefits to users by protecting their privacy and enhancing their online security. With GhostSurf, users can browse the internet without the fear of being tracked or monitored by hackers, government agencies, or advertisers.

3. How does GhostSurf protect my privacy?

GhostSurf protects your privacy by hiding your IP address, which is your unique identifier on the internet. It also encrypts your online activity, making it unreadable to anyone trying to intercept it. This way, your internet service provider, government agencies, or hackers cannot track your online activities or collect your personal information.

4. Can GhostSurf be used on all devices?

GhostSurf can be used on most devices, including desktop computers, laptops, and mobile devices. However, the compatibility may vary depending on the type of device and operating system. It is important to check the system requirements before purchasing and installing GhostSurf.

5. Is GhostSurf legal to use?

Yes, GhostSurf is legal to use in most countries. However, it is important to note that using GhostSurf to engage in illegal activities is not permissible. It is always best to check the laws and regulations of your country before using any privacy software to ensure you are not breaking any laws.