Gibbs phenomenon caused by digital signal processing?

In summary, the Gibbs phenomenon occurs when there is a phase shift in a wave. It can happen with a sine wave or a square wave. It can be good or bad, depending on the circumstances.
DrOnline
Hi,

I'm an electrical engineer for a few years now, but it's been a while since I had to deal with this kind of stuff, I turned out to become mostly a programmer in the end, but i was thinking: is Gibbs phenomenon, which was demonstrated to me during my studies while working on Fourier series, something which is caused by recreating a digitized signal, or does it also exist in purely analogue electronics? I find the first scenario understandable, but not so easily the second.

This is not some urgent matter I need help with, I just wanted to see if I could get some explanation.

I guess I generally find, that a lot of the things I learned while studying, are harder to glue together into cohesive and lasting understanding, than it was to simply parrot back on the day of the exam!

Engineering news on Phys.org
As best I can recall, the Gibbs phenomenon occurs at discontinuities in a wave. Think of a sine wave that has an instantaneous phase shift of 180 degrees. Wouldn't the Gibbs phenomenon happen for that as well as for a square wave?

DrOnline said:
[...]is Gibbs phenomenon ... something which is caused by recreating a digitized signal, or does it also exist in purely analogue electronics? [...]
IIRC ringing, over/under-shoot, and similar phenomenon are present while sampling analog circuits depending on filter designs and noise conditions. Not always unwanted as early musical synthesizers and 'fuzz tone' modulators took advantage of these phenomena to achieve natural sounding and special effects.

I would appreciate someone pointing out where the Gibbs Phenomenon needs to be looked upon as something more than an artefact due to under sampling. ( Apparently it was noticed way before the advent of modern processors and, I suspect, before Nyquist came up with his theorem (?). Digital signal processing has to follow the 'rules' and discontinuous functions are not suitable for application without some form of windowing to tame them first.

sophiecentaur said:
an artefact due to under sampling.
I'm new to this, but apparently this hard to kill thing is the reaction to 'discontinuous' input, and the main point is that the depth of sampling or the bandwidth of FFT used has little effect on its amplitude.
At least that's what I've found about this.

Discontinuous input implies infinite bandwidth. So all assumptions involving sampling at finite rates must be invalid. There’s the problem; the model’s flawed.

• Informative
Likes anorlunda

1. What is the Gibbs phenomenon?

The Gibbs phenomenon is a phenomenon that occurs in digital signal processing when a signal is reconstructed using a finite number of Fourier coefficients. It is characterized by a ringing effect at discontinuities in the signal, resulting in an overshoot or undershoot of the reconstructed signal.

2. How is the Gibbs phenomenon caused by digital signal processing?

The Gibbs phenomenon is caused by the truncation of the Fourier series in digital signal processing. When a signal is reconstructed using a finite number of Fourier coefficients, the truncation introduces high-frequency components that result in the ringing effect at discontinuities.

3. What are the effects of the Gibbs phenomenon?

The Gibbs phenomenon can cause distortions in the reconstructed signal, making it different from the original signal. This can lead to errors in signal analysis and processing, particularly in applications where high precision is required.

4. Can the Gibbs phenomenon be eliminated?

The Gibbs phenomenon cannot be completely eliminated, but it can be reduced by using more Fourier coefficients in the reconstruction process. However, this may result in a longer processing time and may not completely eliminate the ringing effect.

5. How does the Gibbs phenomenon affect signal processing applications?

The Gibbs phenomenon can have a significant impact on signal processing applications that require high precision, such as image and audio processing. It can introduce errors in the reconstructed signal, which can affect the accuracy of the analysis and processing results.