Understanding Digital-to-Analogue Conversion in Signal Processing

In summary, the process of converting a digital signal to an analogue form involves using a DAC and data from Fig. 12.2 to draw the output level on the axes of Fig. 12.3. The graph is constant between 0-0.2 and 0.2-0.4 due to a sampling frequency of 5kHz, which measures the signal every 2ms. The conversion also involves passing the output through an ADC and then back into a DAC, which cannot recover any information lost during the conversion.
Taniaz

Homework Statement

The digitial signal is transmitted and then converted to an analogue form by the DAC. Using data from Fig. 12.2, draw on the axes of Fig.12.3, the output level of the transmitted analogue signal for time zero to time 1.2 ms.

Homework Equations

Four bit digital numbers being ised

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution of the graph is attached. I don't understand how they knew the graph will be constant between 0-0.2 and then 0.2-0.4. How did they calculate this? Secondly this graph looks like a digital graph more than an analogue graph?
I don't understand the conversion at all.

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_6908.JPG
    IMG_6908.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_6909.JPG
    IMG_6909.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_6906.JPG
    IMG_6906.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 402
Physics news on Phys.org
Taniaz said:
The solution of the graph is attached. I don't understand how they knew the graph will be constant between 0-0.2 and then 0.2-0.4. How did they calculate this?
What is the sampling frequency?

Taniaz said:
Secondly this graph looks like a digital graph more than an analogue graph?
I don't understand the conversion at all.
The output of the microphone is passed through an ADC.

It's 5kHz which I understand now so it's measuring it after every 2 ms which is why the intervals as such.

Yes and then it puts it back into a DAC.

Taniaz said:
Yes and then it puts it back into a DAC.
And that DAC cannot recover any information that was lost in the A to D conversion.

Ah I don't know why I over complicated questions for myself.

Thank you so much!

1. What is a digital to analogue graph?

A digital to analogue graph is a graphical representation of the conversion from digital data to analogue signals. It shows the relationship between the digital input and the corresponding analogue output.

2. How is a digital to analogue graph created?

A digital to analogue graph is created by plotting the digital input values on the x-axis and the corresponding analogue output values on the y-axis. The points are then connected to form a line graph.

3. Why is a digital to analogue graph important?

A digital to analogue graph is important because it helps to visualize the conversion process and understand the relationship between digital and analogue signals. It is also useful for troubleshooting and optimizing digital to analogue converters.

4. What factors can affect the shape of a digital to analogue graph?

The shape of a digital to analogue graph can be affected by factors such as the resolution of the digital input, the accuracy of the analogue output, and the linearity of the conversion process. Noise and interference can also affect the shape of the graph.

5. How can a digital to analogue graph be used in real-life applications?

A digital to analogue graph can be used in various real-life applications such as audio and video processing, communication systems, and control systems. It is also used in scientific research and data analysis to study the behaviour and characteristics of digital to analogue converters.