Is there a library for the Gibson-Ashby model in Abaqus?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help for their bachelor thesis on simulating the mechanical properties of polyurethane foam using the Gibson-Ashby model in Abaqus. They are looking for a library or similar resource to aid in their research and are struggling with setting up the UMAT subroutine. They are advised to check the Abaqus Theory Guide and the Verification chapter for further assistance.
Muro35
TL;DR Summary
Gibson-Ashby model, Polyurethane foam, mechanical properties
Hello together,

I need help for my bachelor thesis. We want to simulate the mechanical properties of polyurethane foam using the Gibson-Ashby model in Abaqus. So I would like to know if there is a library or something similar for Abaqus. I'm fairly new to Abaqus and the Gibson-Ashboy model, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Muro35

Likes berkeman
Engineering news on Phys.org
Check the Abaqus Theory Guide chapter "Models for crushable foams" and see if these models fit your needs.

Likes Muro35
Will do thank you

Two duplicate threads merged into one
Hello together,

I would like to simulate a tensile test of a polyurethane sample in Abaqus for my bachelor thesis. I will use a Gibson-Ashby material model, assuming that the material will behave linearly elastic. Accordingly, I wanted to use the UMAT subroutine, but unfortunately I can't get it to run.
After I start the job, I get the error "Problem during compilation". Visual Studion 2015 and the Fortran compiler are installed.

Can you help me further ? Thank you and best regards

Muro35

Setup for Abaqus subroutines is quite tricky, check if you can run any analyses with subroutines included in the documentation chapter Verification --> User Subroutines --> User subroutine verification.

1. What is the Gibson-Ashby model in Abaqus?

The Gibson-Ashby model is a continuum damage mechanics model used in Abaqus to predict the failure of composite materials under various loading conditions. It takes into account the microstructural properties of the material, such as fiber volume fraction and matrix properties, to accurately simulate the failure behavior.

2. How does the Gibson-Ashby model work in Abaqus?

The Gibson-Ashby model works by dividing the composite material into smaller representative volume elements (RVEs) and calculating the stress and strain states within each element. The model then uses a damage evolution equation to predict the initiation and propagation of damage within the material, leading to failure.

3. What types of materials can be modeled using the Gibson-Ashby model in Abaqus?

The Gibson-Ashby model can be used to simulate the failure behavior of various composite materials, including fiber-reinforced composites, laminates, and particulate composites. It can also be applied to both isotropic and anisotropic materials.

4. What are the advantages of using the Gibson-Ashby model in Abaqus?

The Gibson-Ashby model offers several advantages, including its ability to predict the failure behavior of composite materials under different loading conditions, its incorporation of microstructural properties, and its ability to simulate damage initiation and propagation. It also allows for the optimization of material properties to improve the overall performance of the material.

5. Are there any limitations to the Gibson-Ashby model in Abaqus?

Like any other model, the Gibson-Ashby model also has its limitations. It may not accurately predict the failure behavior of materials with complex microstructures or those subjected to extreme loading conditions. Additionally, the model requires accurate input parameters, which can be challenging to obtain for some materials.