Gigantic Full Worm Moon this Weekend

• Thread starter PhanthomJay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary: It's really amazing.In summary, the full moon will appear biggest and brightest when it rises over the horizon while at Perigee, its closest approach to Earth. The huger appearing moon is a combination of the 'moon illusion' effect at the horizon plus its 13 percent or so greater apparent size than when at apogee.
PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Please join with me this Sunday or Monday when the full moon of the vernal equinox rises over the east horizon just around or after sunset. Finally it will prove that the full moon appears biggest and brightest when it rises over the horizon while at Perigee, its closest approach to Earth. The huger appearing moon is a combination of the 'moon illusion' effect at the horizon plus its 13 percent or so greater apparent size than when at apogee. The moon will appear significantly very noticably larger than a full moon overhead at apogee, a fact little noted in the literature. Watch for it!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I told you I would be nearby... waiting ...

A six month wait..thanks! Please fetch out your camera and head for Home Depot. No camera tricks, please. The camera won't show the illusion, but it surely should pick up the perigee effect. Funny, though, you might need a side by side comparison of apogee/perigee moons to pick up the perigee effect difference in size, whereas in the viewing itself on the horizon , the combined effects should be quite noticeable, I imagine.

PhanthomJay said:
Please fetch out your camera and head for Home Depot.

I'd be happy to, but there's no point - there's way to calibrate or correlate the image.

Are there any consequences due to this event. Some news channels say that the tsunami and earthquake in Japan are partially caused by this. They say that older incidents of "huge moon" have also accompanied such disasters. Is this true?

ashishsinghal said:
Are there any consequences due to this event. Some news channels say that the tsunami and earthquake in Japan are partially caused by this. They say that older incidents of "huge moon" have also accompanied such disasters. Is this true?

No. Those news channels get their science from chicken bones and Aztec sacrifical rituals.

I don't see why the moon can't cause Earth quakes, the moon pulls on the Earth so why wouldn't it be possible for this pull to cause an earthquake? Of course any earthquake caused would've gone anyhow, and would've been even stronger then if it took longer before triggered.

Or am I totally off?

DLuckyE said:
I don't see why the moon can't cause Earth quakes, the moon pulls on the Earth so why wouldn't it be possible for this pull to cause an earthquake? Of course any earthquake caused would've gone anyhow, and would've been even stronger then if it took longer before triggered.

Or am I totally off?
The moon is continuously tugging on the earth, so it certainly can have an impact on plate tectonics. But that's not the same as saying that when the moon is ever so slightly closer when full, it would cause more. Note, the Japan earthquake was two weeks ago. It was on the complete opposite side of the Earth from where it is now!

Question.
What's "Worm" supposed to mean in the title?

FtlIsAwesome said:
Question.
What's "Worm" supposed to mean in the title?
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/full-moon-names/

The moon was very bright and rather big tonight, but I viewed it when it was about 20 degrees above the horizon, no illusion effect, so it was far from the huge moon I was expecting. Maybe tomorrow...

Ah. Ok.
I have so much to learn...

Here's a pic from tonight.

Feel free to compare it to the pic of the harvest moon I took back on Sept 25.

Attachments

• PF20110319_gianttmoon.jpg
    PF20110319_gianttmoon.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
I did not know this:

The first- or last-quarter moon is not one half as bright as a full moon
... at first quarter, the moon appears only one eleventh as bright as when it's full.

A 95-percent illuminated moon appears half as bright as a full moon
Believe it or not, the moon is half as bright as a full moon about 2.4 days before and after a full moon. Even though about 95 percent of the moon is illuminated at this time, and to most casual observers it might still look like a "full" moon, its brightness is roughly 0.7 magnitudes less than at full phase, making it appear one-half as bright.
http://www.space.com/11163-supermoon-biggest-full-moon-2011.html

DaveC426913 said:
Here's a pic from tonight.

Feel free to compare it to the pic of the harvest moon I took back on Sept 25.
Thanks for taking the time to take the photo. I made the comparison, and couldn't see much difference in size between the full Harvest Moon at apogee versus the one last night at perigee, at least not in the photo. I noticed that myself when viewing it last night. Apparently the 14 percent apparent increase in diameter is not that noticeable , especially when not making a side by side comparison. But the illusion effect on the horizon must be noticeable, and tonight at moonrise will be the night of final judgement.

I love the moon illusion. Maybe it's my imagination, but somehow the mind "magnifying" the moon let's me see more detail, despite there being no actual increase in resolution.

Overhead it can be difficult to clearly distinguish the different lunar mare, but near the horizon I can see them quite clearly. It's hard to compare it objectively though because photographs can't reproduce the illusion!

PhanthomJay said:
Thanks for taking the time to take the photo. I made the comparison, and couldn't see much difference in size between the full Harvest Moon at apogee versus the one last night at perigee, at least not in the photo.

You really have to realize that your comparison in completely invalid.

To get two shots to compare, I would have to be standing in exactly the same place as I was six months ago. Closer or farther, and the foreground object you're using as a referent is a different size. I don't know if I was standing in the same spot (though I tried), so how could you?

Also, I would have to be using the exact same zoom setting. I don't know what the zoom setting is, how could you?

And finally, even if I were rigorous about ensuring all factors were identical, there's one factor I cannot keep consistent: this is March, that was June. The Moon is in a completely different position of the sky. In order to get my foreground referent and the Moon in alignment in March, like they were in June, I can't be standing in the same place.

DaveC426913 said:
You really have to realize that your comparison in completely invalid.

To get two shots to compare, I would have to be standing in exactly the same place as I was six months ago. Closer or farther, and the foreground object you're using as a referent is a different size. I don't know if I was standing in the same spot (though I tried), so how could you?

Also, I would have to be using the exact same zoom setting. I don't know what the zoom setting is, how could you?

And finally, even if I were rigorous about ensuring all factors were identical, there's one factor I cannot keep consistent: this is March, that was June. The Moon is in a completely different position of the sky. In order to get my foreground referent and the Moon in alignment in March, like they were in June, I can't be standing in the same place.
Well, when I asked you to take the picture with no tricks, I mean for you to stand in the same place and use the same camera settings. And the foreground wouldn't make any difference anyway, because all I have to do is print out a picture of both the Harvest Moon shot and the Wolf Moon shot, cut out the moon on one shot, and layer it over the moon in the other, and compare. It's the camera setting that's the most important.

When I viewed the moon tonight (with my son and grandaughter as witnesseses) rising over the ocean, at 20:35 EDST, it was a bright orange, and rather large. It rose in more or less the same spot, about 105 degrees E of N magnetic (90 degrees east of true north). By viewing it through a cardboard tube over one eye, and nothing over the other, I had the unnerving feeling of seeing 2 moons, one larger than the other, the larger of which i judged to be about 15% larger than the smaller , based on comparison photos I've seen of an apogee versus perigee moon. That made the moon appear about 33% larger than an overhead moon at apogee. And I still think I've seen larger appearing moons over the years, maybe based on foreground references, but that's a story for another time.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
If you do the experiment again in the future, just remember to use the full zoom setting. Then you can measure the moon diameter in terms of image pixels, and compare its size in different photos.

What is the Gigantic Full Worm Moon?

The Gigantic Full Worm Moon refers to the full moon that occurs in the month of March. It is also known as the Super Worm Moon because it coincides with the time when worms begin to emerge from the ground as the weather gets warmer. This particular full moon is expected to appear larger and brighter than usual, hence the term "gigantic".

Why is the Gigantic Full Worm Moon happening this weekend?

The Gigantic Full Worm Moon is happening this weekend because the full moon phase occurs when the moon is on the opposite side of the Earth as the sun, which happens every 29.5 days. This month, the full moon happens to fall on the weekend of March 27-28.

What is the best time to view the Gigantic Full Worm Moon?

The best time to view the Gigantic Full Worm Moon is when it is at its peak, which is when it is directly opposite the sun and fully illuminated. This will occur at 2:48 PM EDT on Sunday, March 28th. However, the moon will still appear full and bright throughout the entire weekend.

How can I see the Gigantic Full Worm Moon?

The Gigantic Full Worm Moon can be seen with the naked eye, as long as the sky is clear and there is minimal light pollution. It is recommended to find a dark and open area away from city lights for the best viewing experience. Using a telescope or binoculars can also enhance the view of the moon.

Will the Gigantic Full Worm Moon have any special effects?

The Gigantic Full Worm Moon will not have any special effects, but it may appear larger and brighter due to its close proximity to Earth. This phenomenon is known as a supermoon, and it occurs when the moon is at its closest point to Earth in its orbit. Some people also believe that full moons can affect human behavior, but there is no scientific evidence to support this claim.