Given Epsilon > 0, come up with a delta? Limit problem.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of limits and how they are evaluated. The speaker is seeking guidance on how to solve a limit problem and clarifies the definitions of epsilon and delta. They are also advised to use a homework template to help them get started on the problem.
INTP_ty
Member warned about not using the homework template
Lim as x approaches 4 of 1/x = 1/4

Given epsilon > 0, come up with a delta, d?Limits have been introduced. So far my instructor has had us make tables to see what value x was approaching. Although I don't understand exactly how limits are EVALUATED (different from looking at a chart & saying "yeah, it looks like it's approaching 4 or whatever", it's pretty clear & makes intuitive sense.

Anyways, I've never seen a problem like this before.

Can someone please walk me through this. I have no idea where to start. The limit has already been solved...
epsilon is any small number, right?

And delta is simply a difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
You appear to be in an early stage of a mathematical analysis course: ##\forall \epsilon > 0 \ \ \ \exists \delta ... \ \ ## such that ... etc.

So it comes down to correct wording and putting the explicit definition to work explicitly.
For assistance with that, a literal rendering of the problem statement and of the relevant definition is useful (to say the least).

For that purpose we have a homework template, which might help you get started. I don't know if you've seen it come by ? (it's in bold face, so I suspect a yes here).

1. What is the purpose of finding a delta in a limit problem?

The purpose of finding a delta is to determine the smallest possible value that can be used for x in the limit problem, in order to ensure that the difference between the value of the function at that point and the given epsilon is less than or equal to the desired accuracy.

2. How is delta related to epsilon in a limit problem?

Delta and epsilon are both used to represent the concept of "closeness" in a limit problem. Delta is the distance between the input value and the desired limit, while epsilon is the maximum allowed difference between the output value and the limit. Together, they represent the desired accuracy of the limit problem.

3. Can delta be any value in a limit problem?

No, delta cannot be any value in a limit problem. It must be a positive value, and it must be carefully chosen to ensure that the desired accuracy is achieved. In some cases, there may be multiple possible values for delta, and the smallest one should be chosen.

4. How do you determine the value of delta in a limit problem?

The process of determining the value of delta in a limit problem can vary depending on the specific problem and the techniques being used. In general, it involves manipulating the given epsilon and the function to find a suitable value for delta. This may involve using algebra, calculus, or other mathematical methods.

5. What happens if the chosen delta does not result in the desired accuracy in a limit problem?

If the chosen delta does not result in the desired accuracy, then it may need to be adjusted. This could involve trying a different value for delta, using a different method to determine delta, or changing the approach to the limit problem altogether. It is important to carefully consider the relationship between delta and epsilon in order to ensure that the desired accuracy is achieved.