Good astrophysics schools in california

In summary, the conversation discusses transferring to a school in California for astrophysics and mentions that Caltech does not typically accept transfer students. UC Berkeley and UC Santa Cruz are recommended as top choices, but Penn State is also mentioned as a great school for astrophysics, although it is not in California. There may be difficulties transferring credits to Penn State.
Zaphodx57x
ATM I'm at a JC and I will be transferring next year under the astrophysics major. Anybody have any inside information or anything about schools in california. Also keep in mind, caltech doesn't really take transfer students...but hey, there is always grad school. :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Berkeley is best, UC Santa Cruz is a close second.

- Warren

Yes I had heard good things about Santa Cruz. Thanks for the reply.

I know it is not in California, but Penn State is great for astrophysics. I am an undergraduate there now. It is actually one of the top schools in terms of prepairing students for graduate school. There are also some pretty spiffy reseach opertunities with professors. The only draw back is that some of your credits may be hard to transfer to Penn State. Well, since it is not in California, this is probably useless but I figure it can't hurt.

-Lauren

Related to Good astrophysics schools in california

1. What are the top astrophysics schools in California?

The top astrophysics schools in California include Caltech, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Santa Cruz, and Stanford University.

2. How do I determine which astrophysics school is the best fit for me?

It is important to consider factors such as program curriculum, research opportunities, faculty expertise, and location when determining which astrophysics school is the best fit for you. It may also be helpful to visit the campus and speak with current students and faculty.

3. Are there any specialized astrophysics programs offered in California?

Yes, there are several specialized astrophysics programs offered in California, including programs focused on cosmology, planetary science, and observational astronomy.

4. What kind of career opportunities can I expect with an astrophysics degree from a California school?

An astrophysics degree from a California school can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including research positions in academia or industry, data analysis and software development roles, and teaching positions.

5. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for students pursuing astrophysics in California?

Yes, there are several scholarships and financial aid options available for students pursuing astrophysics in California, including those offered by the schools themselves, as well as external organizations such as the National Science Foundation and the American Astronomical Society.