Good book on representation theory of groups

In summary, the speakers are discussing representation theory of groups and are in need of a book with examples and exercise problems. They mention "Lie Groups and Lie Algebras for Physicists" by Das & Okubo and Brian Hall's book as potential options. While the former is a good resource for understanding the basic concepts, the latter is highly recommended for its pedagogical approach and usefulness for physicists. However, it primarily focuses on math and does not cover any physics.
beman
Hi I am a physics graduate student. Recently I am learning representation theory of groups. I understand the basic concepts. But I need a good book with lots of examples in it and also exercise problems on representation theory so that I can brush up my knowledge.The text we follow is "Lie Groups and Lie Algebras for Physicists" by Das & Okubo.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't done the exercises in it, but Brian Hall's book is a very nice read.

Do you want a math texts? Or one that has a lot of physics and a lot of physical motivation?
If you're ok with math only, then Hall* is the best text there is. It is very useful for physicists and every physicist doing representations should know what's in there. It is very good pedagogically too. But it doesn't do any physics.

*: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387401229/?tag=pfamazon01-20 and http://arxiv.org/abs/math-ph/0005032

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Good book on representation theory of groups

Question 1: What is representation theory of groups?

Representation theory of groups is a branch of mathematics that studies the ways in which groups can be represented by matrices or linear transformations. It seeks to understand the structure and properties of groups through their representations, and it has applications in many areas including physics, chemistry, and computer science.

Question 2: Why is representation theory of groups important?

Representation theory of groups is important because it provides a powerful tool for understanding and analyzing groups. It allows us to break down a complex group into simpler, more manageable parts and study their properties. This has numerous applications in mathematics and other fields, such as in physics where symmetries and group representations are crucial for understanding the fundamental laws of nature.

Question 3: What are some common examples of groups in representation theory?

Some common examples of groups in representation theory include finite groups, Lie groups, and algebraic groups. These groups have diverse applications in mathematics and other fields, and their representations play a crucial role in understanding their properties and behavior.

Question 4: What are the main techniques used in representation theory of groups?

The main techniques used in representation theory of groups include character theory, the theory of group representations, and the theory of representations of Lie algebras. These techniques involve the use of linear algebra, group theory, and other advanced mathematical concepts to study and classify group representations.

Question 5: Are there any recommended books for learning about representation theory of groups?

Yes, there are many good books on representation theory of groups. Some popular ones include "Representation Theory: A First Course" by Fulton and Harris, "Lie Groups, Lie Algebras, and Representations: An Elementary Introduction" by Hall, and "Group Representation Theory" by James and Liebeck. It is important to choose a book that matches your level of mathematical background and interests.