Good introductory textbooks for group theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a good textbook on group theory, specifically representation theory, for an undergraduate studying theoretical physics. Multiple books are suggested, with "Visual Group Theory" by Carter recommended for conceptual understanding, but a more formal exposition needed. The individual struggled to understand representation theory in a previous class, but is now planning to take a graduate level class on Lie algebras and Lie groups. Additional book recommendations are given, including "Lie Algebras in Particle Physics" by Georgi, "Group Theory" by Ramond, "Lie Groups, Physics and Geometry" by Gilmore, and "Symmetries and Conservation Laws in Particle Physics" by Haywood. The conversation also mentions potential financial concerns and suggests priorit
steve0606
Hi there. Can anybody recommend a good textbook for an undergraduate wanting to study group theory (especially representation theory). I'm thinking of reading "visual group theory" by Carter for conceptual understanding but I also need a book to study alongside this that gives a more formal exposition.

I took a class at university that involved group theory but I bombed it! (Ended up with a D) Mostly because I struggled to understand representation theory (especially irreps) in detail.

Im now taking a class in Lie algebras and Lie groups (at graduate level) next year but of course I want/need to gain a solid understanding of the basics! I tried hammermesh but I found it quite strange (the explanation he gives for representations is very odd I found!) and also Raymond which I found too advanced, given I was an undergrad at the time.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I should also mention that I'm studying theoretical physics (not mathematics).

Ramond looks really good to me. Are you also considering getting a book to use before Ramond? This one by Ehrlich looks really nice (no representation theory though).

I don't know, whether it is available in English, but I like Smirnov, Higher Mathematics vol. III/1 very much, of which I know the German edition. It covers linear algebra and group-representation theory for the physically important groups (rotation group, Lorentz group).

I would suggest the following 3 books are very good for theoritical physics;

1: Lie Algebras in Particle physics--Georgi
2: Group Theory--Ramond
3: Lie Groups, Physics and geometry --Gilmore

a concise and very good book for Lie Algebras is
Symmetries and Conservation Laws in particle Physics--Haywood.

If finance is the problem then get the Haywood and Georgi in anycase.

1. What is group theory?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of groups, which are mathematical structures that consist of a set of elements and a binary operation. It is a fundamental concept in abstract algebra and has applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and computer science.

2. What are the key topics covered in introductory textbooks for group theory?

Introductory textbooks for group theory typically cover topics such as group structures, subgroups, group actions, homomorphisms, and isomorphisms. They also cover important theorems and concepts such as Lagrange's theorem, the fundamental theorem of group theory, and the classification of finite abelian groups.

3. What are some recommended introductory textbooks for group theory?

Some popular introductory textbooks for group theory include "A First Course in Abstract Algebra" by John B. Fraleigh, "Group Theory" by W.R. Scott, and "Introduction to Group Theory" by Oleg Bogopolski. These books provide a solid foundation in group theory and are suitable for both undergraduate and graduate students.

4. How can studying group theory benefit me as a scientist?

Group theory has numerous applications in science, particularly in the fields of physics and chemistry. It provides a framework for understanding symmetry in nature, which is essential in studying molecular and crystal structures. Group theory is also used in particle physics to understand the fundamental particles and their interactions.

5. Are there any online resources available for learning group theory?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning group theory, such as lecture notes, video lectures, and interactive tutorials. Some recommended resources include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and the Group Theory section on Wolfram MathWorld. These resources can be helpful for self-study or as a supplement to a textbook.