Good resources for learning a little about the wave vector

In summary, the conversation suggests two resources for understanding the usage of the wave vector: Griffiths E&M Chapter 9 and a draft textbook on waves by David Morin. The recommended section to look at is 8.3.1 in the draft textbook, which discusses "surfaces of constant phase" and compares the wave vector to a gradient. Further clarification and examples can also be found in other resources, such as a PDF on wave properties and a physics forum discussion on the concept of 1-forms.
phantomvommand
TL;DR Summary
Hi, I am looking for a short document discussing the usage of the wave vector. Any recommendations? Thank you!

Alternatively, you could give a brief introduction here; I’m mainly confused about how k can be a vector.
Hi, I am looking for a short document discussing the usage of the wave vector. Any recommendations? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have access to Griffiths E&M? Chapter 9 ought to do the trick.

1620052992773.png

Likes phantomvommand
Likes phantomvommand

1. What is a wave vector?

A wave vector, denoted as k, is a mathematical quantity used to describe the direction and magnitude of a wave's propagation in space.

2. How is the wave vector related to wavelength?

The wave vector is inversely proportional to the wavelength of a wave. This means that as the wavelength increases, the magnitude of the wave vector decreases.

3. What is the significance of the wave vector in wave mechanics?

The wave vector plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of waves, such as light and sound, in different mediums. It helps us determine the direction and speed of wave propagation, as well as the relationship between the wave's energy and frequency.

4. Are there different types of wave vectors?

Yes, there are two types of wave vectors: longitudinal and transverse. Longitudinal wave vectors are parallel to the direction of wave propagation, while transverse wave vectors are perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation.

5. How can I learn more about the wave vector?

There are various online resources available for learning about the wave vector, including articles, videos, and interactive simulations. You can also consult textbooks or attend lectures on wave mechanics to gain a deeper understanding of the concept.