Good resources for Physics II?

In summary, the individual is seeking additional resources to supplement their studies in Physics II, particularly in the topics of electric fields, Gauss' Law, charge distributions, electric potentials, potential energies, and capacitance. They mention a test coming up and feeling unprepared. They are considering using MIT OCW's lectures by Walter Lewin, which are available on YouTube, and also mention Griffith's as a good introductory text. They note that Griffith's does not cover advanced techniques or Lagrangian/Hamiltonian Field Theory.
mrnike992
I'm struggling just a little bit in Physics II ("An introduction to electricity, magnetism, and light, with emphasis on topics needed by engineering students" as described by the course listing), and I was wondering if there were any good resources to supplement my book, lecture, recitation, lab, and homework. Currently I'm working with electric fields, Gauss' Law, charge distributions, electric potentials, potential energies and now capacitance. I have a test coming up next week and I'm hopelessly under-prepared.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
MIT OCW used to have Walter Lewin's lectures up there for everyone, but they were taken down after a scandal. I think they are still available on Youtoube somehwere. Just search "Walter Lewin Electricity and Magnetism". Upside is they are very well done lectures, downside is they aren't very advanced. It mostly focuses on the integral forms of Maxwell's equations. Things like LaPlace's and Poisson's aren't discussed. Griffith's is also a very good introductory text that covers all of the bases. The only thing griffith's lacks is Advanced techniques and Lagrangian\Hamiltonian Field Theory.

I'll definitely look into that, thanks. I'm concurrently enrolled in Calc III, so we haven't done the differential forms and won't this semester. Thanks!

1. What are some reliable textbooks for Physics II?

Some popular and reliable textbooks for Physics II include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Giancoli, and "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker.

2. Are there any reputable online resources for studying Physics II?

Yes, there are many reputable online resources for studying Physics II. Some examples include Khan Academy, HyperPhysics, and Physics Classroom. These websites offer interactive lessons, practice problems, and simulations to help students understand concepts in Physics II.

3. Are there any useful mobile apps for Physics II?

Yes, there are several mobile apps that can be helpful for studying Physics II. Some popular ones include "Physics Toolbox Suite" which provides a variety of tools for solving equations and "Physics Formulas Free" which contains a comprehensive collection of formulas and definitions for Physics II.

4. Is it beneficial to join a study group for Physics II?

Joining a study group for Physics II can be beneficial for many students. It allows for collaboration and discussion, which can help clarify concepts and reinforce understanding. It also provides the opportunity to work on practice problems and review material with peers.

5. Are there any supplemental materials or resources that can help with understanding difficult concepts in Physics II?

Yes, there are many supplemental materials and resources available for Physics II. Some examples include YouTube channels such as "Flipping Physics" and "Doc Schuster," which offer video explanations and demonstrations of concepts. Additionally, many textbooks have accompanying online resources, such as practice quizzes and interactive simulations, that can aid in understanding difficult concepts.