Good Textbooks for QM: Get Advice Here!

In summary: I'm trying to do this by myself. I went through Dr. Susskind's 10 lecture series (the older one, not as much aligned with his book "Quantum Mechanics", which I own) taking notes, and am almost half way through with MIT Open Courseware's lectures in 8.04 (QM I) from 2013, again taking rigorous notes, and after that will be moving on to the 2016 recordings of 8.04 with a different professor, and after that moving on to 8.05 (QM II) with the same professor.Besides literally going back to school, which I can't at this time for financial reasons, what else do I need?In summary, you need to purchase a
jaurandt
I'm trying to do this by myself. I went through Dr. Susskind's 10 lecture series (the older one, not as much aligned with his book "Quantum Mechanics", which I own) taking notes, and am almost half way through with MIT Open Courseware's lectures in 8.04 (QM I) from 2013, again taking rigorous notes, and after that will be moving on to the 2016 recordings of 8.04 with a different professor, and after that moving on to 8.05 (QM II) with the same professor. I also possesses "Fundamentals of Quantum Mechanics", 3rd Edition, by Dirac (1947), which I have been slowly creeping through.

Besides literally going back to school, which I can't at this time for financial reasons, what else do I need? What books do I need, or lecture series do I need, that can get me to a point where I can start studying QFT or the Standard Model? I'm going to go back and study Special and General Relativity after QM, before QFT and Particle Physics, for which I possesses the book "The Meaning of Relativity" by Einstein.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I meant for the title of this to say "Good Books on Quantum Mechanics", I'm no where close to QFT yet. Can a mod change it for me?

So the next question would be what level? Undergrad? Graduate?

There’s a Susskind QM lite book as part of his theoretical minimum sequence but it’s math treatment is lighter than traditional undergrad books.

There’s also an Oxford Press book teaches about QM concepts with math but doesn’t get into the more mundane uses of QM by Prof Zagoskin.

Likes Demystifier and jaurandt
jedishrfu said:
So the next question would be what level? Undergrad? Graduate?

There’s a Susskind QM lite book as part of his theoretical minimum sequence but it’s math treatment is lighter than traditional undergrad books.

I own the Susskind book, which I have mostly read.

I would prefer it to be an undergraduate level, but anything that can teach QM in a clear way (without glossing over things) will do.

The recordings from Barton Zwiebach you watch are also available in edx.org with quizzes and problems. They provide feedback and solutions. I think if you can finish them, you can say you know undergrad QM.

Likes smodak
CCofADoa said:
The recordings from Barton Zwiebach you watch are also available in edx.org with quizzes and problems. They provide feedback and solutions. I think if you can finish them, you can say you know undergrad QM.

Yeah, that's the next lecture series I'm moving onto after Allen Adams'. He talks and moves so fast... I never could've gone to MIT...

1. What are the best textbooks for learning quantum mechanics?

The best textbooks for learning quantum mechanics vary depending on personal learning style and level of understanding. Some popular options include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by R. Shankar, and "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili.

2. Are there any textbooks that are better for beginners?

Yes, there are textbooks specifically designed for beginners in quantum mechanics. Some examples include "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" by David A. B. Miller and "Quantum Mechanics: An Experimentalist's Approach" by Eugene D. Commins.

3. Are there any textbooks that are better for advanced learners?

There are textbooks that are better suited for advanced learners in quantum mechanics. Some options include "Quantum Mechanics" by Claude Cohen-Tannoudji, "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell, and "Quantum Mechanics and Path Integrals" by Richard P. Feynman and Albert R. Hibbs.

4. Are there any online resources for learning quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning quantum mechanics. Some popular options include MIT's OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Coursera. Additionally, many universities offer online courses or lectures on quantum mechanics.

5. How can I choose the best textbook for my needs?

Choosing the best textbook for your needs depends on your learning style and level of understanding. It is recommended to read reviews and ask for recommendations from professors or other experts in the field. It may also be helpful to preview the textbook before purchasing to ensure it aligns with your learning goals.