Good Tips to Solve Non-Linear ODE

• Thread starter JoPe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tips
In summary, the conversation discusses a search for a non-trivial and significant non-linear ODE to demonstrate a solver. One suggestion is the Riccati equation, which has no known general analytical solution but has many numerical methods associated with it. The speaker suggests conducting a survey of other numerical techniques applied to this type of equation and comparing results.
JoPe
Hi!
I am trying to demonstrate a solver for non-linear ODE an wonder if anyone has got a tip on one which is non-trivial to solve, and has some significance to some people so that maybe someone will read my report =)

If you got a good tip, thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
How about this Riccati equation:

[tex]y^{\prime} + y^2 + \alpha(x) = 0[/tex]

(where alpha is an arbitrary function of x, and y = y(x) as well). This has no general solution (as far as I know) -- and it is very important. If you can provide an analytic solution to this, then fame and fortune is yours. ;-)

Thank you, i will look into that one. Although it is not an analytical solution i am working with, but a numerical. If i am not mistaking the analytical method for solving them are already known?

Sorry, I misunderstood -- the equation I quoted has no known general solution (analytical), but I suspect there are many numerical methods already associated with it. If you apply your method, you should then do a survey on the web of other numerical techniques applied this class of equations, and then compare results.

Hello! I understand the importance of finding solutions to non-linear ODEs, as they often arise in real-world problems and can be difficult to solve. One tip I have is to consider using numerical methods such as Runge-Kutta or Adams-Bashforth, which can provide accurate solutions even for complex non-linear ODEs. Additionally, it may be helpful to explore the use of symmetry methods, such as Lie groups, to simplify the problem and make it more manageable. It is also important to carefully analyze the problem and choose appropriate initial conditions and boundary conditions for the solver. Good luck with your research and I hope your report will be read and appreciated by others in the field!

Related to Good Tips to Solve Non-Linear ODE

1. What is a non-linear ODE?

A non-linear ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives, with the function being raised to a power or multiplied by another function. In other words, the dependent variable and its derivatives are not simply proportional to each other, but rather involve non-linear relationships.

2. Why is it important to solve non-linear ODEs?

Non-linear ODEs are used to model a wide range of real-world phenomena, from population growth to chemical reactions. By solving these equations, we can gain a better understanding of these complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.

3. What are some techniques for solving non-linear ODEs?

Some common techniques for solving non-linear ODEs include using numerical methods, such as the Runge-Kutta method, or using analytical methods, such as the power series method or substitution methods.

4. Are there any challenges in solving non-linear ODEs?

Yes, there are several challenges in solving non-linear ODEs. One of the main challenges is that there may not be a closed-form solution, meaning that the equation cannot be solved using basic algebraic operations. This requires the use of more advanced mathematical techniques.

5. Can non-linear ODEs be solved analytically?

In some cases, yes, non-linear ODEs can be solved analytically. However, this is not always possible and numerical methods may need to be used. Additionally, even when an analytical solution exists, it may be very complex and difficult to obtain.