Google fix for Meltdown & Specter - small impact, good fix

In summary: The article does not mention Retpoline specifically, but the "Variant 2" attack prevention that everyone seems to complaining/worrying about. Their Retpoline change seems to work well. In other words the doomsayers just lost what they were moaning about.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
This is the technical article:
https://support.google.com/faqs/answer/7625886

Please do not ask me for an executive summary. I fail Summary 101 repeatedly. Just ask my family.

Google fixed the problems and has run extensive tests since September. They found little performance degradation for the 'Variant 2' attack prevention that everyone seems to complaining/worrying about. Their Retpoline change seems to work well. In other words the doomsayers just lost what they were moaning about. The fix is free, as in no cost. Unless you program and develop code you cannot really use it.

You may see pop science articles about "Retpoline" - Return + Trampoline = "retpoline"
A trampoline is an inline function (a self contained function inside another larger function) in computer code, the return(machine specific low-level) statement means end what you are doing immediately, and go back (return) to where you came from. Kind of like the Monopoly game's: "Go directly to jail, do not pass go".

I cannot explain this any better for non-computer programmers, pop science articles may get it right accidentally. Someone else here can do better than I can.

Computer science news on Phys.org
It sounds good. Can you explain what it means to us users? Can we expect an OS update that will fix the problem with no performance degradation? Any idea how long it will take to implement?

Popular article: http://www.zdnet.com/article/google...ges-performance-hit-so-you-should-all-use-it/

It means you have to wait for programs to be recompiled or patched, this includes the OS. Then you get it via Windows update, or for Linux via apt get, yum or whatever program your distribution uses to update software. The main impact is for cloud servers handling all those gigantic baby picture graphics files that people post and then store in the cloud. File I/O is the main point of performance impact for Variant 2 -- all the other proposed fixes - Microsoft & Intel included.

All of us users now wait for a fix.

It's disgusting. Compilers will need to be mutilated to generate that atrocity.

What is the Google fix for Meltdown and Specter?

The Google fix for Meltdown and Specter is a software update that addresses the security vulnerabilities known as Meltdown and Specter. These vulnerabilities were discovered in computer processors and could potentially allow hackers to access sensitive information on a computer. The Google fix is designed to mitigate these vulnerabilities and protect users from potential attacks.

How does the Google fix impact users?

The Google fix for Meltdown and Specter has a small impact on users. It may cause a slight decrease in performance for some tasks, but this impact is minimal and should not be noticeable for most users. The benefits of increased security far outweigh any potential performance impact.

Is the Google fix a good solution for Meltdown and Specter?

Yes, the Google fix is considered a good solution for Meltdown and Specter. It has been thoroughly tested and has been found to effectively mitigate the vulnerabilities. Google has also worked closely with other companies and researchers to ensure the fix is comprehensive and effective.

How can I get the Google fix for Meltdown and Specter?

The Google fix for Meltdown and Specter is available as a software update for most operating systems. This update should be automatically installed on most devices, but if you are unsure, you can check for updates in your device's settings. It is important to keep your devices up to date to ensure you have the latest security patches.

Are there any other steps I should take to protect my device from Meltdown and Specter?

In addition to installing the Google fix, there are a few other steps you can take to further protect your device from Meltdown and Specter. These include keeping all of your software up to date, being cautious when downloading and opening attachments or links from unknown sources, and using strong and unique passwords for all of your accounts.