GPS in cameras and phones creates privacy issue

In summary, the author is concerned about the potential for someone's location and typical schedule to be identifiable by looking at their pictures and videos. They say that if someone doesn't want this information shared, they should turn it off. There are a variety of ways to do this, but most people don't know about it or don't take the time to turn it off. The author also notes that even the Mythbusters guy didn't know about this feature and that it's not something that is commonly known.
Computer science news on Phys.org
alt said:

Not so scary. It's just one of the tenths of factors which may help someone identify another persons location and typical schedule. You should strip de exif from any picture you post online .

DanP said:
Not so scary. It's just one of the tenths of factors which may help someone identify another persons location and typical schedule.

Well, I thought that very fact - the ability to identify another persons location and typical schedule, would be of concern .. scarey damn it - if the person was not aware of it.

You should strip de exif from any picture you post online .

(my underlined) I don't know what that means, but I assume you're saying there's a way to delete identifying info. Most people wouldn't know that though. Even the Mythbusters guy didn't know it.

We've discussed this before: if you don't like it, turn it off.

However you can put in anything you want into the EXIF of picture with this.

I always laugh when I see on Facebook and Google "XXXXXX is at YYYYYYY".

You are actively advertising to people where you are and more importantly, where you aren't - think your home and burglars.

I don't see such a problem with pictures and videos being marked as where you used to be. I suppose if it's your daily routine then I can understand the potential issues there.

We know what people are like - stalkers et al - so if you choose to advertise these details then you accept the risks associated with doing so. And that's the key for me, it's always your choice and every system I've encountered asks you before it shares said details. It's not a privacy concern if you volunteer the info.

Im reasonably sure no one on my friends list has been to jail for burglary.

russ_watters said:
Im reasonably sure no one on my friends list has been to jail for burglary.

It depends on your privacy settings.

It can be friends only, friends of friends, everyone etc.

In such cases, can you be sure your friends friends are safe?

A lot of people are set to friends of friends (remnants of the old system). I note a lot of the people I see sharing such info are ones that I know aren't particularly knowledgeable of those settings.

Besides, just because you've never been caught doesn't mean anything.

Last edited:
I never enabled GPS in my phone.

Evo said:
I never enabled GPS in my phone.

Unless I need directions, neither do I.

It's a major battery drain for one.

jtbell said:
A Google search on the word "exif" leads to this as the first hit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchangeable_image_file_format

Thanks - Dan P preceded it with 'de' and I thought both words were some spelling error or something, never having heard of 'exif'.

Anyhow, yes, as others have said, you can turn it off. But on avergage, many people (like me) wouldn't have a clue about it in the first place, let alone know how to deal with it. That was the nature of my concern.

Edit to add, as I mentioned in my earlier post, even the Mythbusters guy didn't know about it, and you'd think HE'D be tech savvy.

alt said:
Anyhow, yes, as others have said, you can turn it off. But on avergage, many people (like me) wouldn't have a clue about it in the first place, let alone know how to deal with it. That was the nature of my concern.

Still, I'm not aware of any devices that just do it without at least mentioning it before hand - heck it's bound to be on the box so it's not something I'd say people can claim ignorance to.

To not tell you about it and just do it would be a privacy issue. I'm sure if you read the instructions you'd note the details in there - again, ignorance from not reading the instructions isn't a valid defence.

jarednjames said:
Still, I'm not aware of any devices that just do it without at least mentioning it before hand - heck it's bound to be on the box so it's not something I'd say people can claim ignorance to.

To not tell you about it and just do it would be a privacy issue. I'm sure if you read the instructions you'd note the details in there - again, ignorance from not reading the instructions isn't a valid defence.
They could have it turned on, not realizing that it would show up on pictures. Even I didn't know that, so I'm grateful to alt for the info.

jarednjames said:

Well, it would be very interesting to see if it IS on the box, and even if it is, if it is so presented in a reasonable manner, that the average Joe would become aware of it.

I've already asked my daughter who has a GPS phone, but she han't got the box or the pamphlet (and was very surprised at what I told her about it).

Evo said:
They could have it turned on, not realizing that it would show up on pictures. Even I didn't know that, so I'm grateful to alt for the info.

I fully accept people may have it on without realising, but if you a) put it in the public domain then you accept the risk of anything that comes from that and b) not reading the instructions / box / warnings on screen in the first place means you haven't paid due care an attention to the device before using it in such a manner.

My phone has a GPS icon for a start.
alt said:
Well, it would be very interesting to see if it IS on the box, and even if it is, if it is so presented in a reasonable manner, that the average Joe would become aware of it.

I've already asked my daughter who has a GPS phone, but she han't got the box or the pamphlet (and was very surprised at what I told her about it).

The instructions for use will cover it if nothing else.

I appreciate it can be a privacy concern but it stems from the users ignorance to the device they are using.

alt said:
Even the Mythbusters guy didn't know it.

Sure they didn't, because no one seems to read the owner's manual to anything ever. Who's fault is that ?

We make laws forcing the manufacturers to come up with nice manuals, and ironically the end user doesn't give a dime of all the effort made to enlight him over the capabilities of the devices they use. And it's not the device which creates privacy issues. Is the user themselves.

Saying that a GPS device causes privacy issues is like saying that copiers causes privacy issues if a genius decide to photocopy his ID and put it online.

So the bottom line here to me is that people need to be more tech savy. Or better yet, PAY ATTENTION (general words to live by). Learn how to use your camera. When facebook changes their privacy management, read the message they sent you and look at the settings. When you see an unusual icon in the upper left corner of the hud on your camera, with your location printed underneath, learn why it is there.

Frankly it just seems to me like people over a certain age stop learning life skills. You can't do that if the environment keeps changing.

Heh - and if you think geotagging is scary, just wait till you hear about Google Latitude!

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
and if you think geotagging is scary, just wait till you hear about Google Latitude!

Oh, come on. I'm sure nobody would ever use that for nefarious reasons. :eek:

I don't use Latitude, disabled it straight away.

My thinking is "If I wanted you to know where I was, I'd tell you!".

Note to self delete all those nude pics of my self I put up on facebook... Jk but lol that would be funny if you got caught posting some type of criminal activity on the net and this is the way they caught you.

Containment said:
Note to self delete all those nude pics of my self I put up on facebook... Jk but lol that would be funny if you got caught posting some type of criminal activity on the net and this is the way they caught you.

Well people got caught when they spotted crimes on street view.

1. How does GPS in cameras and phones create privacy issues?

GPS in cameras and phones can create privacy issues by tracking and recording the location of the user. This information can be accessed by third parties and used to track the user's movements, potentially compromising their privacy.

2. Can I turn off the GPS feature on my camera or phone?

Yes, most devices have the option to turn off the GPS feature. However, some apps and services may still be able to access your location through other means, such as your IP address or WiFi network.

3. How can I protect my privacy when using GPS in my camera or phone?

You can protect your privacy by being cautious about which apps and services have access to your location. You can also turn off the GPS feature when not needed and regularly review your privacy settings.

4. Are there any laws or regulations regarding the use of GPS in cameras and phones?

There are currently no specific laws or regulations regarding the use of GPS in cameras and phones. However, there are general privacy laws that may apply to the collection and use of location data, such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in the European Union.

5. How can companies use GPS data collected from cameras and phones?

Companies can use GPS data collected from cameras and phones for various purposes, such as targeted advertising and location-based services. However, they are required to comply with privacy laws and obtain the user's consent before collecting and using this data.