GR: find covariantly constant vector on a given curve

In summary: This makes sense for when the vector we are after is specifically on the curve ##x=1##, however my interpretation of the question is to find ##W_t## and ##W_x##...Yes, this is what you are asking.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

covcon.png

I am stuck on finding ##W^u##

Homework Equations

[/B]
I have computed the christoffel symbols via comparing the Euler-Lagrange equations to the form expected from geodesic equation.

geodesic equation: ##\ddot{x^a}+\Gamma^a_{bc}\dot{x^b}\dot{x^c}=0##

covariantly constant equation: ## V^a \nabla_a W^b = V^a (\partial_a W^b) + V^a \Gamma^b_{ac} W^c= 0 ## [1] where ##V^a ## is the tangent vector to the geodesic.

I have computed the christoffel symbols as:

##\Gamma^{x}_{tt}=\frac{-1}{2x^2}## and ## \Gamma^{t}_{tx}=\frac{-1}{2x}##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
From the information given ##x^u=(t,1) \implies V^u=(1,0)=\delta^u_t ##

Therrefore [1] non-zero equations reduces to:

## \nabla_t W^b = (\partial_t W^b) + V^t \Gamma^b_{tc} W^c= 0 ##

Using the christoffel symbols non-zerro equations further reduce to:

##\partial_t W^t - \frac{1}{2x}W^x=0##

and ## (\partial_t W^x) -\frac{W^t}{x^2}= 0 ##

MY QUESTION:

so it is at this point that I am stuck. the only way I can see to proceed is to differentiate either one of the equations again wrt ##t## to get a second-order equation and then substitute in the other equation. However to then solve completely we would need 2 boundary conditions, but are only given one.

Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• covcon.png
    covcon.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 761
Physics news on Phys.org
No, you have two boundary conditions. If you are rewriting two first order differential equations as one second order one, you can use the original differential equations to obtain an initial condition on the derivative of the variable you are keeping.

Orodruin said:
No, you have two boundary conditions. If you are rewriting two first order differential equations as one second order one, you can use the original differential equations to obtain an initial condition on the derivative of the variable you are keeping.

mmmm okay, so for the 2nd PDE I obtain: ##\partial_t^2W^t-\frac{1}{2x^3}W^t=0##

If I plug in the boundary condition into the first ODE I have:

##\partial_t W^t=0 ## at ## (0,1)=(t,x)##

and

##\partial_t W^x-1=0 ## at ## (0,1)=(t,x)##

BUT... to get these I have only fed in an ##x## value and not a ##t## value? so, really, do I not have that the above two hold for ##(t,1)## unless it's one-to-one such that ##x=1 \iff t=0##?

binbagsss said:
mmmm okay, so for the 2nd PDE I obtain: ##\partial_t^2W^t-\frac{1}{2x^3}W^t=0##

If I plug in the boundary condition into the first ODE I have:

##\partial_t W^t=0 ## at ## (0,1)=(t,x)##

and

##\partial_t W^x-1=0 ## at ## (0,1)=(t,x)##

BUT... to get these I have only fed in an ##x## value and not a ##t## value? so, really, do I not have that the above two hold for ##(t,1)## unless it's one-to-one such that ##x=1 \iff t=0##?
no?

(anybody out there, does anyone care, cause baby I'm not f-f-f-fooolin')

Orodruin said:
please is there a reason you didnt reply to my reply, I am still stuck, many thanks for your time.

You have the second-order equation:

[itex](\partial_t)^2 W^t - \frac{1}{2x^3} W^t = 0[/itex]

What's the solution to that? Note, since [itex]x[/itex] doesn't vary along the path, you just have a function of [itex]t[/itex] and you can use ordinary derivatives instead of partial derivatives, treating [itex]x[/itex] as constant. So letting [itex]W^t = f(t)[/itex], this becomes:

[itex]\frac{d^2 f}{dt^2} - k f = 0[/itex]

for some positive constant [itex]k[/itex]

What's the solution(s) to that equation?

To be honest, the best way of solving this is to not solve a differential equation at all. Instead, you can use well known properties of parallel transport. Note that ##x = 1## is a geodesic when parametrised properly since the geodesic equations are given by
$$
L = \dot t^2 /x - \dot x^2, \quad \frac{d}{ds} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot t} = 2\frac{d(\dot t /x)}{ds} = 0,
\quad \frac{d}{ds}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot x} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial x} = - \ddot x + \frac{\dot t^2}{x^2} = 0.
$$
For ##x = 1## you would have the appropriate normalisation when ##\dot t## is constant. So indeed ##t = s##, ##x = 1## is an affinely parametrised geodesic.

The question becomes, what can you say about the field that is parallel transported along ##x = 1## based on the properties of parallel transport? (Assuming you are using a metric compatible connection, but I took it as implicit that you are using the Levi-Civita connection.)

stevendaryl said:
You have the second-order equation:

[itex](\partial_t)^2 W^t - \frac{1}{2x^3} W^t = 0[/itex]

What's the solution to that? Note, since [itex]x[/itex] doesn't vary along the path, you just have a function of [itex]t[/itex] and you can use ordinary derivatives instead of partial derivatives, treating [itex]x[/itex] as constant. So letting [itex]W^t = f(t)[/itex], this becomes:

[itex]\frac{d^2 f}{dt^2} - k f = 0[/itex]

for some positive constant [itex]k[/itex]What's the solution(s) to that equation?

Ok so the solution is ##f=Ae^{\sqrt(k)t} + Be^{-\sqrt(k)t} ##, ##A, B## some constants.

Regarding ##W_t## being a function of only ##t## , this is the same for ##x## right?
This makes sense for when the vector we are after is specifically on the curve ##x=1##, however my interpretation of the question is to find ##W_t## and ##W_x## in terms of both ##(x,y)## such that the dependence of ##x## satisfies the intial data etc and so must be constant on that curve, however general expressions that reduce to that?

binbagsss said:
Ok so the solution is ##f=Ae^{\sqrt(k)t} + Be^{-\sqrt(k)t} ##, ##A, B## some constants.

Regarding ##W_t## being a function of only ##t## , this is the same for ##x## right?
This makes sense for when the vector we are after is specifically on the curve ##x=1##, however my interpretation of the question is to find ##W_t## and ##W_x## in terms of both ##(x,y)## such that the dependence of ##x## satisfies the intial data etc and so must be constant on that curve, however general expressions that reduce to that?

There is no [itex]y[/itex], since they're talking about a 2-D spacetime. So, the "constants" [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are actually constants with respect to [itex]t[/itex]. They are still functions of [itex]x[/itex]. So you have:

[itex]W^t = A(x) e^{\sqrt{k} t} + B(x) e^{-\sqrt{k} t}[/itex] where [itex]k = \frac{1}{2x^3}[/itex]

At [itex]t=0, x=1[/itex], [itex]W^t = 1[/itex]

You have a similar constraint for [itex]W^x[/itex], which is related to [itex]W^t[/itex], as you derived in the first post.

stevendaryl said:
There is no [itex]y[/itex], since they're talking about a 2-D spacetime. So, the "constants" [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are actually constants with respect to [itex]t[/itex]. They are still functions of [itex]x[/itex]. So you have:

[itex]W^t = A(x) e^{\sqrt{k} t} + B(x) e^{-\sqrt{k} t}[/itex] where [itex]k = \frac{1}{2x^3}[/itex]

At [itex]t=0, x=1[/itex], [itex]W^t = 1[/itex]

You have a similar constraint for [itex]W^x[/itex], which is related to [itex]W^t[/itex], as you derived in the first post.

It seems to me that the vector field [itex]W^\mu[/itex] is not uniquely determined anywhere except on the line [itex]x=1[/itex].

stevendaryl said:

But also we haven't found general ##A(x) ## and ##B(x) ## for the above, but instead ##A(x=1)## and ##B(x=1)##?

binbagsss said:
But also we haven't found general ##A(x) ## and ##B(x) ## for the above, but instead ##A(x=1)## and ##B(x=1)##?

Right, but it seems to me that we can choose them arbitrarily in the case [itex]x \neq 1[/itex]. The problem statement doesn't pin them down.

1. What is a covariantly constant vector?

A covariantly constant vector is a vector that has a constant direction and magnitude along a given curve, regardless of the coordinate system used to describe the curve. This means that the vector remains unchanged under coordinate transformations.

2. Why is it important to find covariantly constant vectors on a given curve?

Knowing the covariantly constant vectors on a given curve can provide valuable information about the properties of the curve, such as its curvature and torsion. This can be useful in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

3. How can one find covariantly constant vectors on a given curve?

To find covariantly constant vectors on a given curve, one must solve the geodesic equation for the given curve. This equation describes the path of a particle moving along the curve with no external forces acting on it. The solution to this equation will give the covariantly constant vector(s) on the curve.

4. Can a curve have more than one covariantly constant vector?

Yes, a curve can have multiple covariantly constant vectors. This is because different points on the curve may have different curvatures and torsions, resulting in different covariantly constant vectors.

5. What are some applications of finding covariantly constant vectors on a given curve?

Finding covariantly constant vectors on a given curve has various applications in fields such as general relativity, differential geometry, and computer graphics. It can also be used in navigation systems to determine optimal paths and in robotics for motion planning.