GR: How Much Mechanics is Involved?

In summary: However, in my school, the prof is willing to work with students who struggle with math, and offers a lot of opportunities to practice and do homework with him/her.In summary, vanhees71 is considering taking a General Relativity course, but is unsure if he is good enough at Mechanics to do well in the course. vanhees71 has taken Quantum Mechanics and is comfortable with Applied Math, but Pure Math (especially Abstract Algebra) is not his strong suit. vanhees71 is confident in his ability to learn differential geometry, as it is only a theory of Riemannian manifolds, which is a step up from Classical Mechanics. It seems that General Relativity is heavily reliant on Mechanics prerequisites, but
vector
I'm currently taking a course in Theoretical Mechanics, which is a prerequisite to General Relativity, which I'm very much looking forward to taking. However, I'm not that good in mechanics, and Real Analysis seems to be more straightforward than even the first course in Mechanics. I'm quite comfortable in Applied Math, and, to a certain degree in Pure Math (especially Abstract Algebra). I've also taken Quantum Mechaics, and got a very good mark in it, one of the highest marks ever (compared to other courses).

My question is: how heavy is General Relativity on the side of Mechanics? I sincerely hope that it has "too much" "hardcore math" than it has any "hardcore mechanics".

Physics news on Phys.org
GR is mechanics ... but how much the GR course leans on the Mechanics prereq really depends on the school.

Likes vector
If that's the case, it seems that I'll have to take Differential Geometry instead. I was really looking forward to learning GR, including the Differential Geometry part of it, but I have a bit of a trouble with Classical Mechanics.

Actually, a course in Quantum Theory in my school also has Theoretical Mechanics as a prerequisite. Does this mean that QT courses also depend a lot on Classical Mechanics stuff? The introductory QM course I took contained almost no Classical Mechanics.

I think the combination of QM and GR should be explored to complete mechanics.

The most important prerequisites for GR are linear algebra and vector calculus as well as the calculus of variations (I believe that without the action principle you have no chance to understand anything in physics beyond "naive" Newtonian mechanics). A course in differential geometry is very helpful to learn GR, because the only difference between GR and differential geometry is that the latter is the theory of Riemannian manifolds, while GR is based on a pseudo-Riemannian manifold. The difference is physically very important but mathematically it's not a big step. More important than analytical mechanics (i.e., the mechanics of point particles based on the action principle) is a good foundation in classical field theory (a modern course on E&M, using the manifest covariant notation in special relativity and the action principle for fields is enough). There's no need for QM to learn GR, which is an entirely classical field theory.

Likes vector
vanhees71, thank you for your detailed post. From your post, it appears that Classical Mechanics is not extensively applied in GR, and that GR is quite abstract. Which would be good for me, because I seem to lack some intuition for Classical Mechanics, and do prefer more abstract courses, like QM.

Why not browse through the GR textbook that the course is using, or speak with the prof? It seems introductory GR courses involve a lot of upfront math before even getting to any physics.

Likes vector

Related to GR: How Much Mechanics is Involved?

1. How is mechanics involved in general relativity (GR)?

In GR, mechanics is involved in understanding and describing the motion of objects in the presence of massive bodies. This includes the effects of gravity, which is described by the curvature of spacetime.

2. What are the main principles of mechanics in GR?

The main principles of mechanics in GR are the principle of equivalence, which states that gravity and acceleration are equivalent, and the principle of general covariance, which states that the laws of physics are the same in all reference frames.

3. How does GR differ from classical mechanics?

GR differs from classical mechanics in several ways. In classical mechanics, gravity is described by the force of gravity between two objects, while in GR, gravity is described as the curvature of spacetime. Additionally, GR takes into account the effects of acceleration and velocity on the curvature of spacetime, while classical mechanics does not.

4. What is the role of mathematics in understanding mechanics in GR?

Mathematics plays a crucial role in understanding mechanics in GR. The equations of GR are complex and require advanced mathematical concepts such as tensor calculus and differential geometry to fully grasp and apply.

5. How is GR used in practical applications?

GR has many practical applications, including the prediction of the motion of planets, the behavior of black holes, and the global positioning system (GPS). It is also essential for understanding the large-scale structure of the universe and the evolution of the universe as a whole.