GR: Practical Problem Sets w/ Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties the speaker is facing in applying their understanding of tensor calculus to practical problems in GR. They are seeking resources, such as books or online problem sets, that can help them with this issue. The suggested resources include Misner's "Precis of General Relativity" and Possson's "A Relativists Toolkit", with the speaker recommending starting with the former. They also mention a problem collection with solutions in both SR and GR that may be helpful in understanding the practical applications of the theory.
zwoodrow
TL;DR Summary
Looking for an online collection of more down to earth calculation based questions for introductory gr
I have been learning gr on YouTube for the last few months. Most of the videos and the book I have focus on high level understanding. I can do all of the tensor calculus proofs. However simple questions like how you set up a velocity vector or measure proper time in schwarzschild are beyond me. Are there any books or online problem sets that walk you through how to do practical problems in gr?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Proper time is measured by idealized clocks - atomic clocks are pretty close to being ideal. Velocities in GR can be thought of as the rate of change of a coordinate with respect to proper time, or more abstractly as derivative operators.

Misner's "Precis of General Relativity", https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9508043, might possibly be of help, but since I don't actually know your question, it's hard to say.

Perhaps you'd find Possson's "A Relativists Toolkit" helpful, perhaps not. It does address the issue of physical interpretations of the theory, by means of the theory of congruences. While I found that approach very illuminating, I can't speak as to how popular it is, my sense is that others do not find it as helpful as I do.

I'd start with Misner's paper though. It might be totally unhelpful, but if you could explain why it was unhelpful we might get a better idea of what you're looking for.

This is a problem collection with solutions in both SR and GR. The level of the problems range from relatively basic to quite difficult. (The look inside feature will actually show you most of the SR problems - but none of the solutions.)

Full disclosure: The cover art may seem familiar from my avatar. That would be because I am one of the authors.

Likes berkeman, anorlunda, Nugatory and 2 others

1. What is GR: Practical Problem Sets w/ Solutions?

GR: Practical Problem Sets w/ Solutions is a set of practical problem sets with solutions for General Relativity, a theory of gravity that describes the structure of space and time.

2. Who can benefit from using GR: Practical Problem Sets w/ Solutions?

GR: Practical Problem Sets w/ Solutions can benefit anyone who is studying or researching General Relativity, including students, educators, and researchers.

3. How can I access GR: Practical Problem Sets w/ Solutions?

GR: Practical Problem Sets w/ Solutions can be accessed through various online platforms, such as educational websites or scientific databases.

4. What makes GR: Practical Problem Sets w/ Solutions unique?

GR: Practical Problem Sets w/ Solutions is unique because it provides practical problem sets with detailed solutions, allowing users to apply their knowledge of General Relativity to real-world problems.

5. Can I use GR: Practical Problem Sets w/ Solutions for self-study?

Yes, GR: Practical Problem Sets w/ Solutions can be used for self-study as it provides comprehensive solutions that can help users understand and apply the concepts of General Relativity on their own.