Grad School Dilemma: Is Risking a Gap Year Worth It?

In summary: Graduate school deadlines are coming up soon.Generally speaking, graduate admissions committees don't worry too much about a single gap year. Once you've been out of school for three or more years though, there might be questions as to how much you'll have to review. And as Vanadium has implied there really isn't much point in worrying about it, either way.
juliorain
Hello,

I'm a senior undergrad at a liberal arts institution. I'm pursuing two majors one in studio art and the other in physics (BA). I just finished my [revolutionary] research project in cosmology and my grades are all over (everywhere from A to C+ in math+science, no comp sci classes). I am planning on taking a gap year before applying to grad schools. Is that worth the risk? I am I at a disadvantage coming from a small liberal arts institution with a BA and an art degree? Do grad schools care if I get an internship? I'm just a nerdy impractical theorist who missed the deadlines. I'm screwed, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you missed the deadlines, aren't you taking a gap year no matter what?

...right. But do they negatively affect admissions?

Suppose I said "yes"? How would that change anything? What would you do differently?

Generally speaking graduate admissions committees don't worry too much about a single gap year. Once you've been out of school for three or more years though, there might be questions as to how much you'll have to review. And as Vanadium has implied there really isn't much point in worrying about it, either way.

You won't be at any disadvantage for having done a double major. You're either qualified for graduate school, or you're not. If one of your majors was physics, you should be qualified for it. That said, sometimes the specifics of the program will come under scrutiny. Some schools will have a watered down version of the degree that qualifies you for graduate school - for students just interested in the subject or students that want to go on into other areas (teaching, medicine, etc.). The best way to figure this out is to check out what's happened to the alumni of your program. If most of the physics grads have gone on to graduate school, you should be just fine.

juliorain said:
Do grad schools care if I get an internship?

Having some kind of research experience is very helpful. One way to get it is via an internship with some company that's involved in research. Other ways are by working with a professor at your undergraduate school, and via summer programs ("REUs" = Research Experience for Undergraduates) at other schools.

Such experiences allow your supervisor(s) to assess your suitability for a research career, and write letters of recommendation accordingly. They also help you evaluate whether you might actually enjoy a research career.

Since you're presumably graduating at the end of this semester, REUs are probably out of the question, because they generally require that you be a continuing student in the fall. But you might still be able to set something up with a professor this semester or maybe even during the summer, or some kind of industrial internship this summer or next year.

Also, there are plenty of graduate schools whose deadlines have not yet passed!

1. What is a gap year and why is it relevant to grad school?

A gap year is a period of time, typically one year, taken by a student between completing their undergraduate degree and starting graduate school. It is relevant to grad school because it allows students to gain real-world experience, explore career options, and potentially improve their graduate school application.

2. How common is it for students to take a gap year before starting grad school?

It is becoming increasingly common for students to take a gap year before starting grad school, particularly in competitive fields. According to a survey by the Council of Graduate Schools, about 20% of graduate students took a gap year before starting their program in 2019.

3. What are the potential benefits of taking a gap year before grad school?

There are several potential benefits of taking a gap year before grad school. These include gaining work experience, building a stronger graduate school application, improving time management and organizational skills, and gaining a clearer understanding of personal interests and goals.

4. Are there any drawbacks to taking a gap year before starting grad school?

While there are potential benefits, there are also drawbacks to taking a gap year before grad school. These include potentially delaying career and salary progression, missing out on networking opportunities and connections in graduate school, and potentially losing momentum and motivation for academic study.

5. How can I determine if taking a gap year is the right decision for me?

Deciding whether or not to take a gap year before grad school is a personal decision that depends on individual circumstances and goals. It can be helpful to consider factors such as current work experience, financial stability, long-term career goals, and the potential impact on graduate school applications. It may also be beneficial to speak with a career advisor or mentor for guidance and advice.