Grad School Subject Test and Research Interests

In summary, the speaker is planning to attend grad school for applied physics and is applying to mid-grade schools. They have concerns about their low GRE subject test score from their small liberal arts school and are unsure if they should submit it to the schools. They are also unsure about their research interests and whether they should choose one specific area or leave it open-ended. Some suggest choosing one area of interest but the speaker is worried about closing doors to new ideas. It is advised to submit a subject test score and it is not necessary to have a specific research interest at this point.
Vaal
I am looking to go to grad school for applied physics next fall. I'm applying to mostly mid grade schools (University of Virginia, University of Maryland at Baltimore County as well as a few smaller ones) and I had two questions:

First off, I came from a small liberal arts school where GRE subject test scores are notoriously low. I scored in the 30 percentile which was actually very high for the school but obviously does not look great for grad school. My question is given that it is optional at what point is it better to just not submit your score to the school?

My second question is in regard to research interests. I'm really not sure what area I would like to do research in at this point. There are a lot of topics that interest me, mechanics, electronics, semiconductors and anything having to do with space to name a few. Are grad schools going to like a letter that says "I have a lot of interests at this point I am looking forward to narrowing it down to one in particular interest in grad school" or should I just pick one even if it doesn't particularly stand out as my favorite?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually you do not have to specialize until graduate school. When I was studying mathematics in undergraduate I was a big fan of Analysis but wasn't a huge fan of modern algebra and detested complex variables. After getting to that next level and having a new taste for all the topics I found new insights into the topics and developed a different view of the subject altogether. The point I am trying to make is I wouldn't worry so much about what area to choose as a focus because you may be closing doors to new ideas, moreover your not expected to know your primary area of focus.

I feel the same way in that I don't want to close doors by becoming to set on anyone topic now, but it seems that most of the grad school applications want you to specifically state your research interests. From what you say though it sounds like it does not really hurt you to say you aren't sure yet. Thanks for the advice.

Anyone have any input regarding when you should submit your subject test scores?

To be safe you can always choose one of your topics of interest. If you end up changing your mind I am sure that won't be a problem at all. Especially since you wouldn't take any specialty courses in your area of interest until at least your second year.

Related to Grad School Subject Test and Research Interests

1. What is the purpose of the Grad School Subject Test?

The Grad School Subject Test, also known as the GRE Subject Test, is a standardized test that is used as an admissions requirement for many graduate programs in the United States. The purpose of the test is to assess a student's knowledge and understanding of a specific subject area, such as biology, chemistry, or psychology, and to help graduate schools evaluate a student's potential for success in their program.

2. Do all graduate programs require the Grad School Subject Test?

No, not all graduate programs require the Grad School Subject Test. Some programs may require it as part of their admissions process, while others may consider it optional. It is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in to determine if the test is necessary.

3. How should I prepare for the Grad School Subject Test?

Preparation for the Grad School Subject Test will vary based on the subject and your personal study habits. It is recommended to review the test format and content, practice with sample questions and previous exams, and identify areas where you may need to focus your studying. It is also helpful to seek out study materials and resources, such as review books or online courses, to supplement your studying.

4. Can I retake the Grad School Subject Test if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you can retake the Grad School Subject Test if you are not satisfied with your score. However, there are certain restrictions and limitations on how often you can retake the test. It is important to check the policies of the specific graduate programs you are applying to and plan accordingly.

5. How important are research interests in the graduate school application process?

Research interests are an important aspect of the graduate school application process, as they demonstrate your passion and commitment to a specific field of study. They also help graduate schools evaluate whether your research interests align with the focus and resources of their program. It is important to clearly articulate your research interests in your application materials and to make sure they align with the programs you are applying to.