Grade 11 physics and equivalent resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with obtaining an incorrect answer of 45.3 ohms, despite the correct answer being 25.6 ohms. The speaker suggests that posting intermediate steps may help identify the mistake, and ultimately solves the problem by carefully identifying components in series and parallel.
danielsmith123123
Homework Statement
Find the equivalent resistance
Relevant Equations
Find the equivalent resistance
ec2.PNG
i keep getting 45.3 ohms but the answer is 25.6 ohms

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't tell where your mistake is unless you post your intermediate steps that lead you to a (false) answer of 45.3 ohms, but I did it my self and I found it to be 25.6 ohms indeed (25.555 to be more precise).

Delta2 said:
Can't tell where your mistake is unless you post your intermediate steps that lead you to a (false) answer of 45.3 ohms, but I did it my self and I found it to be 25.6 ohms indeed (25.555 to be more precise).
Yes I figured it out I wasn't using my common sense, thank you

Likes Delta2
danielsmith123123 said:
Yes I figured it out I wasn't using my common sense, thank you
Not exactly common sense, but it is kind of easy problem if you carefully identify the components in series and the components in parallel.

1. What is equivalent resistance?

Equivalent resistance is the total resistance of a circuit or a combination of resistors. It is the single resistance value that would produce the same effect as the entire circuit or combination of resistors.

2. How is equivalent resistance calculated?

To calculate equivalent resistance, you can use the formula Req = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn, where R1, R2, and Rn are the individual resistances in a series circuit. In a parallel circuit, the formula is slightly different and is given by 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, with the same current flowing through each component. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, with the same voltage across each branch but different currents flowing through each component.

4. How does the number of resistors affect the equivalent resistance?

In a series circuit, the equivalent resistance increases as more resistors are added, since the total resistance is the sum of all individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the equivalent resistance decreases as more resistors are added, since the total resistance is inversely proportional to the number of resistors.

5. What is the significance of equivalent resistance in circuits?

Equivalent resistance is important in circuit analysis as it simplifies complex circuits and allows us to calculate the overall effect of the circuit or combination of resistors. It also helps in determining the total power dissipation in a circuit and can be used to find the current and voltage in different parts of the circuit.