Graduate schools with Planetary Sciences

In summary, graduate schools with Planetary Sciences programs offer advanced education and research opportunities for students interested in studying celestial bodies and their formation, evolution, and composition. These programs typically cover a range of topics such as planetary geology, atmospheric sciences, and astrobiology, and often involve hands-on experience and collaboration with leading experts in the field. Graduates of these programs are well-equipped for careers in academia, government agencies, and private companies related to space exploration and research.
Tone L
I was curious if anyone knew of any schools that offered graduate degrees in planetary sciences, specifically studying other planets atmospheres. May be it the study of the atmosphere itself or remote sensing techniques for planetary atmospheres.

I know how to find schools that offer the degree. I was more or less wondering if anyone on PF already knew some or one.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anthony LaRosa said:
I was curious if anyone knew of any schools that offered graduate degrees in planetary sciences, specifically studying other planets atmospheres. May be it the study of the atmosphere itself or remote sensing techniques for planetary atmospheres.

I tried searching online and the only school I saw I believe was Cal Tech and maybe UC Boulder

Thanks in advance.

Shouldn't this be a graduate degree in Astronomy, but with a specialization in Planetary Sciences? As far as I can tell, planetary sciences is a field of study within astronomy.

Zz.

Likes Tone L
ZapperZ said:
Shouldn't this be a graduate degree in Astronomy, but with a specialization in Planetary Sciences? As far as I can tell, planetary sciences is a field of study within astronomy.

Zz.
This is what I think as well from my brief findings. However, schools with a graduate degree in Astronomy doesn't always mean Planetary Atmospheres, of course. I was hoping to narrow that aspect down :)

Anthony LaRosa said:
This is what I think as well from my brief findings. However, schools with a graduate degree in Astronomy doesn't always mean Planetary Atmospheres, of course. I was hoping to narrow that aspect down :)

But this is why you have to either ask the professor at your current schools, or do some legwork. Look for papers in the area that you want to work in, and see the authors affiliation. Or go to the various astronomy department's webpage, and browse through all the various research programs within the department.

Actually, you might want to look at geophysics dept. as well. For example, you will not find a planetary sciences graduate degree, but you can certainly specialize in it at the U. of Chicago in the Geophysical Sciences dept.

http://geosci.uchicago.edu/research/planetary-sciences-and-cosmochemistry/

So again, if you simply look for a graduate degree in planetary sciences, you won't find much. It is a sub-topic or a subject area within a larger discipline.

It is the same with practically every other areas. No school has a graduate program in, say, superconductivity. They all have graduate degree in physics, and they may even have a big area covering condensed matter physics. But it is a specific field within physics, and condensed matter, and one has to be aware of the fields and who's in it to know which schools have research specialization in the area.

Zz.

Likes Tone L
ZapperZ said:
But this is why you have to either ask the professor at your current schools, or do some legwork. Look for papers in the area that you want to work in, and see the authors affiliation. Or go to the various astronomy department's webpage, and browse through all the various research programs within the department.

Actually, you might want to look at geophysics dept. as well. For example, you will not find a planetary sciences graduate degree, but you can certainly specialize in it at the U. of Chicago in the Geophysical Sciences dept.

http://geosci.uchicago.edu/research/planetary-sciences-and-cosmochemistry/

So again, if you simply look for a graduate degree in planetary sciences, you won't find much. It is a sub-topic or a subject area within a larger discipline.

It is the same with practically every other areas. No school has a graduate program in, say, superconductivity. They all have graduate degree in physics, and they may even have a big area covering condensed matter physics. But it is a specific field within physics, and condensed matter, and one has to be aware of the fields and who's in it to know which schools have research specialization in the area.

Zz.
Thanks! Wonderful, appreciate the help.

Anthony LaRosa said:
I tried searching online and the only school I saw I believe was Cal Tech and maybe UC Boulder
How about the University of Arizona?

Likes Tone L
Anthony LaRosa said:

I know how to find schools that offer the degree. I was more or less wondering if anyone on PF already knew some or one.

Thanks in advance.
MIT has a Program in Planetary Science in the Dept of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences: https://eapsweb.mit.edu/research/pps

Likes Tone L
Harvard and Berkeley programs called Earth and planetary sciences.

1. What is a graduate school with a focus on Planetary Sciences?

A graduate school with a focus on Planetary Sciences is an educational institution that offers advanced degree programs (such as Master's or PhD) in the field of Planetary Sciences. This includes studying the physical and chemical properties of planets, moons, and other celestial bodies in our solar system and beyond.

2. What types of courses are typically offered in a Planetary Sciences graduate program?

Courses in a Planetary Sciences graduate program may cover topics such as planetary geology, atmospheric science, astrobiology, space exploration, and data analysis. Students may also have the opportunity to participate in hands-on research projects and fieldwork.

3. What are the career opportunities for graduates of a Planetary Sciences graduate program?

Graduates of a Planetary Sciences graduate program may pursue careers in academia, government agencies (such as NASA), or private companies in fields such as planetary research, space exploration, or aerospace engineering. They may also work as science educators or science communicators.

4. What are some top graduate schools for Planetary Sciences?

Some top graduate schools for Planetary Sciences include the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), University of Arizona, and University of Colorado Boulder. However, the best school for an individual student may vary depending on their specific interests and goals.

5. What qualifications do I need to apply to a graduate program in Planetary Sciences?

Most graduate programs in Planetary Sciences require applicants to have a Bachelor's degree in a related field (such as astronomy, geology, or physics) and a strong background in math and science. Some programs may also require GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.