Graph something freehand, then it gives the function...how?

• Thread starter jaysquestions
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using software to determine the function of a curve drawn by hand and the limitations of this approach. It also mentions the concept of curve fitting and suggests developing skills in basic algebra. Additionally, one person asks for help in creating a function from a structure and is advised to have accurate values for a meaningful result.
jaysquestions
Member warned about posting vague, unclear questions.
How or where can I do this? thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Not sure what you mean. Any recipe that gives one output for a given input can be considered a mathematical function.

For properly labeled graphs where the axes for the input and output are defined, this can be done.

I know I didn't explain it very well. This is what I mean: I draw some random curvy line and some app or software tells me the function of what I just drew. Is there some app that does this? thanks for the reply

jaysquestions said:
I know I didn't explain it very well. This is what I mean: I draw some random curvy line and some app or software tells me the function of what I just drew. Is there some app that does this? thanks for the reply
The software can't tell you what the function is in all cases -- the best it can usually do is to approximate the curve (or a section of the curve) with a polynomial or other function, using some of the points on the curve.

Likes symbolipoint
jaysquestions said:
Unclear. You must fit some numbers to what you drew, and then if expecting to use a software program, give the values to the program and run the program to produce an equation.

jaysquestions said:
How or where can I do this? thanks
You are asking about the topic of Curve Fitting. One begins developing skills for this in Basic/Beginning Algebra.

Hello guys I'm tryng to help a student from high school to create a function from the shape of a structure, and I was thinking about drawing something like the structure and
try to find a function from it.
Does someone could give me some help?

jackson.cirillo said:
Hello guys I'm tryng to help a student from high school to create a function from the shape of a structure, and I was thinking about drawing something like the structure and
try to find a function from it.
Does someone could give me some help?
You need good reliable values if you want to make a meaningful graph and find a reliable function or equation.

Related to Graph something freehand, then it gives the function...how?

1. How do I graph something freehand?

To graph something freehand, you will need a piece of graph paper and a pencil. Begin by labeling the x and y axes with appropriate units. Then, plot points on the graph paper according to the data you are working with. Finally, connect the points with a smooth curve to create your freehand graph.

2. What is the purpose of graphing something freehand?

The purpose of graphing something freehand is to visually represent data in a way that is easy to interpret and understand. It can also help identify patterns or trends in the data.

3. Can I graph any function freehand?

Yes, you can graph any function freehand as long as you have the necessary data and a basic understanding of how to plot points and connect them with a curve. However, for more complex functions, it may be easier to use a graphing calculator or software.

4. How can I determine the function from a freehand graph?

To determine the function from a freehand graph, you will need to identify key points on the graph, such as the intercepts, maximum or minimum points, and any points where the slope changes. From there, you can use the slope-intercept form or other methods to determine the function.

5. Are there any tips for creating an accurate freehand graph?

Yes, here are a few tips for creating an accurate freehand graph:

• Use a ruler or straight edge to help you plot points and connect them with a smooth curve.
  • Double-check your data and labeling to ensure accuracy.
  • If possible, use a graphing calculator or software to check your work.
  • Practice and patience are key to creating an accurate freehand graph.