Graph the potential of an anharmonic oscillator

In summary, the person is asking for help with question 2 on a spreadsheet, where they are using the equation U(x) = 1/2kx2 to find the potential plotted on the y axis. They are unsure of what the constant "k" is and what to use as the x axis. They later figure out that U(x) is equal to the integral of -F dx, where F = ma = m d^2x/dt^2, and suggest plotting U(x) with any range of x values.
curto

Homework Statement

my spreadsheet: (oh and please ignore the fact that I've got my amplitude set to 39, i was still answering question 1 when i took the screen shot)

Untitled-1-1.png

the question i am currently having problems with is question 2:

Untitled-2-1.png

Homework Equations

i know the potential is U(x) = 1/2kx2 but that's about all i know

The Attempt at a Solution

i would use the above equation to find U which would be plotted on the y axis, however i don't know what the constant "k" is. also i don't know what i would use as the x axis

Physics news on Phys.org
i figured it out but just for anyone else who would like to know, its actually quite simple. the potential U(x) is equal to the integral of -F dx. simply find an expression for F (remember F = ma = m d^2x/dt^2) and then integrate. that's going to be your expression for U(x). then all you got to do is plot U(x) where x can have any range.

Related to Graph the potential of an anharmonic oscillator

1. What is an anharmonic oscillator?

An anharmonic oscillator is a type of physical system that exhibits oscillatory behavior, but does not follow the simple harmonic motion pattern. This means that the potential energy function of the system is not symmetrical and the restoring force is not directly proportional to the displacement.

2. How is the potential of an anharmonic oscillator graphed?

The potential of an anharmonic oscillator is typically graphed as a function of the displacement of the oscillator. The shape of the graph will vary depending on the specific form of the potential energy function.

3. What does the graph of an anharmonic oscillator potential look like?

The graph of an anharmonic oscillator potential can take on a variety of shapes, depending on the specific form of the potential energy function. Some common shapes include asymmetric potentials, double-well potentials, and potentials with multiple minima and maxima.

4. How does the anharmonicity affect the potential graph of an oscillator?

Anharmonicity refers to the deviation from simple harmonic motion in an oscillator. This can affect the potential graph by changing the shape and symmetry of the graph, as well as introducing multiple minima and maxima.

5. What is the significance of graphing the potential of an anharmonic oscillator?

Graphing the potential of an anharmonic oscillator allows scientists to better understand and analyze the behavior of the oscillator. It also helps in predicting the system's response to external forces and in studying the effects of anharmonicity on the oscillator's behavior.