How Do You Graph a Vector Function and Its Derivative?

In summary: Since x = 2, you can simplify the curve to: ##\mathbf{r}(t) = \langle 2,t,0 \rangle##. In summary, the question is asking to graph the curve ##\mathbf{r}(t) = \langle 2,t,0 \rangle## and its derivative ##\mathbf{r}'(t) = \langle 0,1,0 \rangle## at the indicated values of t.
p.ella

Homework Statement

graph the curve C that is described by r and graph r′ at the indicated value of t.

I've attached the actual question as a picture as a picture file

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I know x(t)= 2, y(t)=t , z(t)=4/1+t^2

when x=0, r(t)=t+4/1+t^2

when y=0, r(t)=2+4/1+t^2

when z=0, r(t)=2+t

Beyond this I have no idea what to do :( Any help would be very much appreciated, as this is quite urgent. Thank you in advance! (:

Attachments

• q23.PNG
    q23.PNG
    2.3 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
p.ella said:

Homework Statement

graph the curve C that is described by r and graph r′ at the indicated value of t.

I've attached the actual question as a picture as a picture file

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I know x(t)= 2, y(t)=t , z(t)=4/1+t^2

when x=0, r(t)=t+4/1+t^2

when y=0, r(t)=2+4/1+t^2

when z=0, r(t)=2+t

Beyond this I have no idea what to do :( Any help would be very much appreciated, as this is quite urgent. Thank you in advance! (:

Where do you get
[tex] z(t) = \frac{4}{1} + t^2 \, ?[/tex]
I see
[tex] z(t) = \frac{4}{1+t^2}.[/tex]
Did you mean z(t) = 4/(1+t^2), using parentheses to make it read properly?

Anyway, you are not allowed to set x = 0, because x(t) = 2 always. You are allowed to set y = 0, but only by setting t = 0 (because y(t) = t), etc. I cannot figure out what you are trying to do. The question asked you to plot ##\mathbf{r}(t)##, which is a curve in three dimensions; but since x = 2 always, it is really a plane-curve involving y and z, lying in the plane x = 2.

1. What are graph vector functions?

A graph vector function is a mathematical concept that maps a set of input values to a set of output values. It is commonly used to represent the motion of an object in space, where the input values are time and the output values are the position, velocity, or acceleration of the object.

2. How do I graph a vector function?

To graph a vector function, you will need to plot points that correspond to different input values and their corresponding output values. You can use a graphing calculator or online graphing tool to plot these points and connect them with a smooth curve. It is also helpful to label the axes and include a key for any parameters present in the function.

3. What are some common applications of graph vector functions?

Graph vector functions are commonly used in physics and engineering to model the motion of objects in space. They are also used in computer graphics to create 3D animations and in economics to represent supply and demand curves. They can also be used in statistics to visualize data and in machine learning to create predictive models.

4. How do I find the domain and range of a graph vector function?

The domain of a graph vector function is the set of input values for which the function is defined. To find the domain, you can look for any restrictions on the input values, such as square roots or division by zero. The range of a graph vector function is the set of output values that the function can produce. To find the range, you can examine the shape of the graph and determine the highest and lowest points on the y-axis.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when graphing vector functions?

One common mistake is forgetting to label the axes and include a key for any parameters present in the function. This can make the graph confusing and difficult to interpret. Another mistake is not plotting enough points, which can result in an inaccurate or misleading graph. It is also important to pay attention to the scales of the axes and avoid distorting the graph by using unequal intervals.