Focal length of converging thin lens graphs

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation for the negative of magnification -M versus the distance of the image from the lens q. The thin lens equation and magnification equation are used to eliminate the object distance p and obtain an equation between M and q. The variables y and x are then substituted for (-M) and q, respectively, to bring the equation to the form y = a x + b. The result is that the focal length is equal to 0 when the y-intercept p is equal to 0.
jribs
Homework Statement
So in my physics assignment we had to graph the negative of magnification (-M) versus distance between image and lens (q). From this we had to find the focal lengths from the intercepts. I have the focal length using the x intercept of the equation M=1-q/f (which I rearragened to -M= q/f -1) but I can’t figure out how to find the focal length using the y intercept.
Relevant Equations
Y=mx+b is equivalent to -M=1/f•q -1
Focal point using x intercept: x0=-b/m=f
I tried -M=pq = f/(f-p) = f/f - f/p = 1-(f/p)
=> M+1= -f/p
=> -Mp-p=f

But since it’s the y intercept, p will equal zero and so the focal length will be 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
jribs said:
I tried -M=pq = f/(f-p) = f/f - f/p = 1-(f/p)
=> M+1= -f/p
=> -Mp-p=f

But since it’s the y intercept, p will equal zero and so the focal length will be 0?
If your task is to graph the negative of the magnification -M versus the distance of the image from the lens q, what is p doing in your equations? Starting from the thin lens equation and the magnification equation, eliminate the object distance p to get an equation between M and q. Then substitute y for (-M) and x for q and see if you can bring the result to the form y = a x + b.

1. What is the significance of the focal length in a converging thin lens graph?

The focal length is the distance between the lens and the point where parallel rays of light converge after passing through the lens. It is an important characteristic of a lens as it determines the size and clarity of the image formed by the lens.

2. How is the focal length of a converging thin lens graph calculated?

The focal length can be calculated using the lens equation: 1/f = 1/u + 1/v, where f is the focal length, u is the object distance (distance of the object from the lens), and v is the image distance (distance of the image from the lens). It can also be measured directly using a lensometer.

3. What is the difference between a positive and negative focal length in a converging thin lens graph?

A positive focal length indicates that the lens is a converging lens, meaning it converges parallel rays of light to a focal point. A negative focal length indicates that the lens is a diverging lens, meaning it causes parallel rays of light to spread out.

4. How does the focal length affect the magnification of an image in a converging thin lens graph?

The focal length is directly proportional to the magnification of an image. A shorter focal length will result in a larger magnification, while a longer focal length will result in a smaller magnification.

5. How does the focal length of a lens affect the depth of field in a converging thin lens graph?

The focal length of a lens has a direct impact on the depth of field, which is the range of distances that appear in focus in an image. A shorter focal length will result in a wider depth of field, while a longer focal length will result in a narrower depth of field.