Graphing Conics: Finding the Vertex, Directrix, and Focus of x^2-4y^2+2x+8y-7=0

• Thread starter duki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conics
In summary, the conversation is about graphing the equation x^2-4y^2+2x+8y-7=0 and the attempt at solving it by completing the square in y. The person who attempted the solution was incorrect and is asking for confirmation on their work.
duki

Homework Statement

graph the following:

Homework Equations

[tex]x^2-4y^2+2x+8y-7=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've gotten to [tex](x+1)^2 = -4(y-2)[/tex]
If that's right, I have p = -1 and v = (-1 , 2) and directrix: y=2. Could someone double check me to see if I'm doing it right?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
duki said:

Homework Statement

graph the following:

Homework Equations

[tex]x^2-4y^2+2x+8y-7=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've gotten to [tex](x+1)^2 = -4(y-2)[/tex]
No, that's completely wrong! What happened to the y2 in the original equation? Try completing the square in y again!

If that's right, I have p = -1 and v = (-1 , 2) and directrix: y=2. Could someone double check me to see if I'm doing it right?

Thanks

Related to Graphing Conics: Finding the Vertex, Directrix, and Focus of x^2-4y^2+2x+8y-7=0

What is a conic section?

A conic section is a curve that is formed by the intersection of a plane with a cone. There are four types of conic sections: circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas.

How do I find the vertex of a conic section?

To find the vertex of a conic section, you can use the formula (-b/2a, -d/2a), where a and b are the coefficients of the x-squared and y-squared terms, and d is the constant term. For example, in the equation x^2-4y^2+2x+8y-7=0, the vertex would be (-1, 1).

What is the directrix of a conic section?

The directrix of a conic section is a line that is perpendicular to the axis of symmetry and located at a distance from the vertex equal to the distance from the focus to the vertex. In other words, it is the line that the curve reflects off of. For the equation x^2-4y^2+2x+8y-7=0, the directrix would be y=1.

How do I find the focus of a conic section?

The focus of a conic section is a point that is located on the axis of symmetry and at a distance from the vertex equal to the distance from the vertex to the directrix. In the equation x^2-4y^2+2x+8y-7=0, the focus would be (1, 1).

Can I graph a conic section without knowing the equation?

Yes, you can graph a conic section without knowing the equation by using a geometric construction. For example, to graph an ellipse, you can use two pins and a string to create the curve. To graph a parabola, you can use a piece of paper and a pencil to create the reflective property of the curve. However, knowing the equation can help you find specific points on the curve, such as the vertex, directrix, and focus.