Gravitation:Foundations and Frontiers by T. Padmanabhan

• Relativity
  • Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date
In summary, this textbook is aimed at a more advanced audience than the beginner, and it has beautiful videos accompanying it.

For those who have used this book(Just to follow the pattern,feel free to vote if you have a point!)

• Strongly Recommend

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Lightly Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lightly don't Recommend

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Strongly don't Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks pretty interesting. How well do they describe differential forms? Do they show pictures as was done in the Wheeler book on Gravitation?

jedishrfu said:
Looks pretty interesting. How well do they describe differential forms? Do they show pictures as was done in the Wheeler book on Gravitation?
Not even a single picture in that chapter! But from a few pages that I have read from the beginning of the book and also from the materials it covers, I can say its targeting an audience who are not beginners in physics. I mean, you can't call it a book for "beginning grad\advanced undergrad". So its not going to be that much pedagogical and it seems to me if you think about the right audience, then it becomes a good book in terms of pedagogy too. But I should say I felt this book is mine when I saw it the first time, so I really like it.
I should say that the author explains that some of the exercises and projects in the book are even proper for being chosen for a thesis topic and some are even still open to research!

That's great. If I get the chance I'll have to check it out. GR was always a fascinating topic for me. I studied from Wheelers book when it was available as preprints at school and always had fond feelings for that time even though I was totally lost in the math.

More recently I got Zees book for similar reasons but it's a lot harder and I am a lot older but it's still fun to look at and imagine that some day understanding will come.

It's a modern update of Landau & Lifshitz, usually doing the same thing Landau does but then giving two alternative ways of doing the same thing, or nicely justifying something Landau slightly glossed over (e.g. that ds'^2 = ds^2 in special relativity). It also includes more information. There are videos following the book here

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGqalPsP5GRDb9LUhPKisP245W4yTMBYF

His intuition is sheerly amazing, the videos are worth it for his diversions alone.

I would recommend this book with Landau & Dalarsson's book as a trio, where Dalarsson is the kind of book that will actually work out the Christoffel symbols explicitly and go really slow still following Landau's presentation, but Landau's book is still the best, I mean his presentation of GR mimics his presentation of SR & EM, you'll have done the gist of it twice already by the time you read the GR sections.

Likes FourEyedRaven and soviet1100

1. What is the main concept of "Gravitation: Foundations and Frontiers"?

The main concept of "Gravitation: Foundations and Frontiers" is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental principles and theories of gravitation, including its historical development and modern advancements.

2. Who is the author of "Gravitation: Foundations and Frontiers"?

The author of "Gravitation: Foundations and Frontiers" is T. Padmanabhan, a renowned Indian physicist and cosmologist who has made significant contributions to the study of gravitation and cosmology.

3. What makes this book a valuable resource for scientists?

This book is a valuable resource for scientists because it presents a thorough and in-depth analysis of gravitation, covering both classical and modern theories. It also includes various applications of gravitation in cosmology, astrophysics, and other branches of physics.

4. Is this book suitable for beginners in the field of gravitation?

Yes, this book is suitable for beginners in the field of gravitation as it starts with the basic concepts and builds up to more advanced topics. It also includes helpful illustrations and examples to aid in understanding.

5. Are there any notable features of "Gravitation: Foundations and Frontiers"?

One notable feature of "Gravitation: Foundations and Frontiers" is its inclusion of recent developments and current research in the field of gravitation, making it a relevant and up-to-date resource for scientists. It also provides exercises and problems for readers to test their understanding and further enhance their knowledge.