Gravitation: Object moving from infinity

In summary, the experts are discussing the condition of 𝜎 where the celestial body B collides against the celestial body A. They are solving for the hyperbola where the periapsis is equal to R and using conservation of angular momentum and energy to find the solution. However, the assumption of the velocity ever being below orbital velocity is incorrect.
TopsyKrate
Homework Statement
There is a spherical celestial body A with the radius of 𝑅 and the mass of 𝑀. As
shown in figure, consider movement of a celestial body B of which relative
velocity at infinity is 𝑣∞ with respect to the celestial body A and the mass is
negligible compared to the celestial body A. At infinity, the celestial body B moves
in the horizontal direction shown in the Figure, and the distance from the straight
line which passes through the center of the celestial body A and is parallel to the
movement direction of the celestial body B

Express the condition of 𝜎 where the celestial body B collides against the
celestial body A
Relevant Equations
GM/R
Express the condition of 𝜎 where the celestial body B collides against the
celestial body ASo this is the original figure of the problem.

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 5.13.53 PM.png
This is my attempt at a solution

20200526_174657.jpg

Since I need to find σ, I have assumed sigma to be an multiple of the radius ## R ##. So, let ## \sigma = \lambda R ##, where ## \lambda ## is some constant term. I have also assumed that the object ## B ## comes into the gravitational influence of object ## A ## when its a horizontal distance of ## n \lambda R ## away (n is some other constant term)

So, using Pythagoras theorem, the distance of object B ## r = \sqrt{{(\lambda R)}^2 + {(n \lambda R)}^2} ##. Substituting ## \sigma ## back, this implies ## r= \sigma \sqrt{n^2 + 1} ##

So, my approach is when object is at a distance ## r= \sigma \sqrt{n^2 + 1} ##, its velocity is ## v_2 ##.This velocity should be less than the orbital velocity at distance ## r ## for it to collide with planet A.

This velocity can be calculated using conservation of energy.

At infinity, ## T_0 = \frac{1}{2}m{v_{\inf}}^2 ##.

At point ## v_2 ##, ## T_1 = \frac{1}{2}m{v_2}^2 - \frac{GMm}{r} ##

Solving this we get ## {v_2}^2 = {v_{inf}}^2 + \frac{2GM}{r} ##. Since ## v_2 < v_{orb} ##

$$ \Rightarrow {v_{inf}}^2 + \frac{2GM}{r} < \frac{GM}{r} $$.

$$ \Rightarrow {v_{\inf}}^2 < - \frac{GM}{r} $$

$$ \Rightarrow r < - \frac{GM}{{v_{\inf}}^2} $$

Substituting everything, I get a value for ## \sigma ## which has the constant term ## n ##. However, I'm not supposed to have ## n ## in the answer. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• 20200526_171806.jpg
    20200526_171806.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I see no advantage in considering that B is not always in A's gravitational field.
What conservation laws apply?

Likes etotheipi
It sounds like you are trying to find what is sometimes called the "impact parameter".

The path the object will follow is a hyperbola with the focus at the center of object A. I've modified the diagram to illustrate.
HYPERBOLA.gif

You are solving for the hyperbola where the periapsis ( Closest approach to the center of A) is equal to R.
Your assumption of the velocity ever being below orbital velocity is incorrect. At no point of it's trajectory will object B ever even drop below escape velocity.

Likes etotheipi
Janus said:
You are solving for the hyperbola where the periapsis ( Closest approach to the center of A) is equal to R.
The problem is much easier than that.

Likes etotheipi
It is an interesting exercise to do the derive the hyperbola, but my method (which I think is the same as @haruspex's method) just involves writing down two equations from two conservation laws and eliminating one variable.

Try using conservation of angular momentum as well as conservation of energy.

1. What is the concept of "gravitation: object moving from infinity"?

Gravitation is the natural phenomenon by which objects with mass are attracted to one another. When an object is moving from infinity, it means that it is moving from an infinitely far distance towards another object with mass.

2. How does the force of gravity affect an object moving from infinity?

The force of gravity between two objects depends on their masses and the distance between them. As an object moves from infinity towards another object, the force of gravity will increase as the distance between them decreases.

3. Can an object moving from infinity escape the gravitational pull of another object?

Yes, an object moving from infinity can escape the gravitational pull of another object if it has enough velocity to overcome the force of gravity. This is known as the escape velocity and it varies depending on the mass and size of the objects involved.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its motion when moving from infinity?

The mass of an object does not affect its motion when moving from infinity. However, the mass of the object will determine the strength of the gravitational force between it and another object.

5. Is the concept of "gravitation: object moving from infinity" applicable only to objects in space?

No, the concept of gravitation and objects moving from infinity is applicable to any object with mass, regardless of its location. However, it is often used in the context of space and celestial bodies due to the vast distances involved.