Gravitational Acceleration Differences in a Pulsar: Calculation and Comparison

In summary, the question is asking for the percentage difference between the free-fall acceleration and the gravitational acceleration at the equator of a pulsar, which is a collapsed star with a mass equal to that of the Sun, a radius of 12.7 km, and a rotational period of 0.0545 s. Using the equations ag=GM/R^2 and g=ag-w2R, the values for ag and g are 8.1881*10^17 and 8.18642*10^11, respectively. To calculate the percentage difference, the correct equation is (ag-g)/g*100, which equals -1.0002*10^8 or -100,002%. Therefore, the
wcase
Here is the question:

Consider a pulsar, a collapsed star of extremely high density, with a mass M equal to that of the Sun (1.98 × 1030 kg), a radius R of only 12.7 km, and a rotational period T of 0.0545 s. By what percentage does the free-fall acceleration g differ from the gravitational acceleration ag at the equator of this spherical star?

Just to make sure I am doing it right, I have the equations
ag=GM/R^2
g=ag-w2R

and when I plug in the values I get ag=8.1881*1017
g=8.18642*1011

From what I gather from my textbook, ag is the gravitational acceleration and g is the free-fall.

Now my predicament is that this is homework submitted online, I have a certain amount of submissions, and I only have one remaining.

So when I compare the percentages, should I do ag/g*100=1.0002*108%
or g/ag*100=.0001%

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
your problem mentions differ so I think you need to calculate a difference ( (g - ag) / g) *100 but that's just my guess.

that makes sense, but now I have to choose from ((g-ag)/g)*100=-1.0002e8 and
((ag-g)/ag)*100=99.9999

but I guess since subtraction isn't reversible, it is most likely ((g-ag)/g)

In the above problem accelaration increases so (ag-g)/g*100 is the correct answer

"(ag-g)/g*100 is the correct answer"

Indeed, thanks.

Related to Gravitational Acceleration Differences in a Pulsar: Calculation and Comparison

What is "Quick Gravitational Question"?

Quick Gravitational Question is a term used to describe a simple question or problem related to the force of gravity, often used in physics and astronomy.

How does gravity affect objects?

Gravity is a force that attracts all objects with mass towards each other. The strength of this force depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them. The larger the mass and the closer the distance, the stronger the gravitational force.

What is the formula for calculating gravitational force?

The formula for calculating gravitational force between two objects is F = (G * m1 * m2) / r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between them.

How does gravity affect the motion of planets?

Gravity is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun. It also affects the speed and direction of the planets' motion, causing them to move in elliptical paths around the sun.

How is gravity related to Einstein's theory of relativity?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, gravity is not a force but rather a curvature of spacetime caused by the mass and energy of objects. This theory explains how gravity works on a large scale, such as with planets and stars, and is essential for understanding the behavior of the universe.