- gravitational coupling constant value?

In summary, the author is asking if they can cheat and define the gravitational coupling constant as the amplitude to emit a gluon in a sphere of radius T.
karnten07
URGENT- gravitational coupling constant value?

I urgently need to find a value for the gravitational coupling constant since the only on ei have is from wikipedia. I've looked on the partcicle data group but couldn't find it there. Anyone?

Thanks
Karnten07

Physics news on Phys.org

I assume this is homework? (Why else would it be urgent?)

If you mean Newton's constant, the PDG most certainly does have it.

Vanadium 50 said:
Why else would it be urgent?
Maybe Karnten07 is falling and trying to calculate her impact time.

Gravity is not part of standard model. There's no coupling constant for gravity in the same sense as we have for electroweak and strong interactions.

hamster143 said:
Gravity is not part of standard model. There's no coupling constant for gravity in the same sense as we have for electroweak and strong interactions.

I don't mean to be pedantic, but I'm not sure if this is true. One can certainly write down a Lagrangian for gravity, the Einstein-Hilbert action,

[itex]\mathcal L = \sqrt{-g}(M_{Pl}^2 R)[/itex]

Further, one could go ahead and quantize this as a theory for a spin-2 graviton, i.e. by writing the graviton as the perturbation on the flat Minkowski metric:

[itex]g_{\mu\nu} = \eta_{\mu\nu} + h(x)_{\mu\nu}[/itex]

Upon expanding the scalar curvature, one finds (schematically)

[itex]\mathcal L = M_{Pl}^2(\partial h\partial h + h\partial h \partial h + h^2 \partial h\partial h + \cdots)[/itex]

One can then canonically normalize and read off coupling constants. In fact, one can do low-energy (weak-field) calculations of gravitons. A very pedagogical example can be found in Zee, chapter VIII.1 where he calculates the gravitational interaction between two photons. (He also does the corresponding classical GR calculation to show that the answers match.)

The theory is non-renormalizable, but one can still perform calculations with the understanding that it is a low-energy effective theory for some quantum theory of gravity.

Cheers,
Joe

JosephButler said:
I don't mean to be pedantic, but I'm not sure if this is true.
I think you are right, I wanted to post something like this, but I'm not a gravitation aficionados.

So I had a question. We can define the (e.g.) strong coupling constant g/T as the amplitude to emit a gluon in a sphere of radius T. Could I somehow cheat and define similarly the gravitational coupling constant, hiding under the carpet the (or showing thus the equivalent problem of) definition of graviton ?

Related to - gravitational coupling constant value?

1. What is the gravitational coupling constant value?

The gravitational coupling constant, also known as Newton's constant, is a fundamental constant in physics that determines the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. It is denoted by the symbol G and its value is approximately 6.674 x 10^-11 m^3 kg^-1 s^-2.

2. How was the gravitational coupling constant value determined?

The value of the gravitational coupling constant was first measured by English physicist Henry Cavendish in the late 18th century using a torsion balance. Since then, it has been determined through various experiments, including precision measurements of the motion of planets and satellites in the solar system.

3. Has the gravitational coupling constant value ever been changed or updated?

No, the value of the gravitational coupling constant has remained constant since it was first measured. It is considered to be a universal constant and is one of the fundamental constants used in the standard model of physics.

4. How does the gravitational coupling constant value affect the strength of gravity?

The value of the gravitational coupling constant directly affects the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. A larger value of G means a stronger gravitational force, while a smaller value of G means a weaker gravitational force. This constant is crucial in understanding the behavior of large-scale objects in the universe.

5. Is the gravitational coupling constant value the same everywhere in the universe?

Yes, it is believed that the gravitational coupling constant has the same value throughout the universe. This is supported by the fact that the laws of gravity, which are based on this constant, have been able to accurately describe the motion of objects in distant galaxies and other parts of the universe.