Gravitational force on an astronaut from a nearby massive torus

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the gravitational force between a big object and an astronaut in space. The relevant equation is given as F=G*m*M/r^2. The person asking for help is struggling with the problem and is looking for clarification on the difference between a "thin ring" and a "thin circle". They also mention knowing how to derive the formulas for these objects but finding this specific problem to be more challenging. Another person suggests deriving the result for a cylinder without a hole to solve the problem.
srecko97

Homework Statement

There are a big object and an astronaut in space. How do we calculate the gravitational force between them. I enclose a photo. I have given the mass of an astronaut, the dimensions of this giant ring and density of the ring. There is also a mistake in the photo. The astronaut is not 2*R away, but only 1*R away from the top of the ring.
homework.jpg
2. Relevant equation
F=G*m*M/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know how to start solivng it. I know how to calculate the force between a point and a thin ring and between a point and a thin circle... but this homework is really hard for me. I would be greatful if I got any key ideas or maybe some beginnings of solution. Help me please!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the difference between a "thin ring" and a "thin circle"? To me, they mean the same thing, but you apparently think of them differently, so I'm looking for a bit of clarification in what you meant by those terms.

Likes srecko97
And when you say you "know how to calculate the force" between a point and one of those those two objects, does that mean you simply know the formulas, or that you know how to derive them from F = GMm/r2 via integration?

Likes srecko97
I meant circle as a 2 dimensional shape with surface and ring as a curve. Yes, i know how to derive these formlas via integration, but this problem seems much harder.

srecko97 said:
I meant circle as a 2 dimensional shape with surface and ring as a curve. Yes, i know how to derive these formlas via integration, but this problem seems much harder.

Much harder? If you know how to integrate to get the force for a single slice then you just need to integrate all the slices in the third dimension.

srecko97 said:
Disk might be a better word to use than circle.

As Cutter has implied, if you really understand how to derive the other results, solving this problem should be relatively straightforward. I'm guessing you were shown the derivation for the ring and possibly how that result was used to get the formula for the disk. You want to do essentially the same thing here. Try deriving the result for a cylinder without the hole in the middle. Show us what you've tried so far.

Thanks

wow I was doing the same problem, check my thread maybe it helps. Also this isn't a torus. That would be way more fun though.

Thanks, redivider. I know it is not a torus, but one of the administrators obviously thinks so, as the title was changed.

1. What is a massive torus and how does it affect an astronaut?

A massive torus is a large, rotating ring-shaped object with a significant amount of mass. Its gravitational force can affect an astronaut by pulling them towards its center of mass.

2. How does the gravitational force from a nearby massive torus compare to that of Earth?

The gravitational force from a nearby massive torus can vary depending on its size and distance from the astronaut, but it is generally much stronger than Earth's gravitational force. This is due to the torus' larger mass and closer proximity to the astronaut.

3. How does the gravitational force from a nearby massive torus affect an astronaut's body?

The gravitational force from a nearby massive torus can cause changes in an astronaut's body, such as a feeling of weightlessness or increased pressure on certain body parts. The exact effects will depend on the strength of the force and the astronaut's distance from the torus.

4. Is there a way to shield an astronaut from the gravitational force of a nearby massive torus?

There are various methods that can be used to partially shield an astronaut from the gravitational force of a nearby massive torus, such as using a spacecraft or protective suit. However, these methods may not completely eliminate the force and its effects on the astronaut.

5. How does the gravitational force from a nearby massive torus affect the trajectory of a spacecraft?

The gravitational force from a nearby massive torus can significantly affect the trajectory of a spacecraft, as it can alter its speed and direction. This must be taken into account when planning and executing space missions near a torus.