Gravitational Interaction Between Two Orbits

In summary, two small asteroids with masses of 3 x 10^6 kg and 1.2 x 10^5 kg orbit each other in circular orbits with a distance of 35 m between their centers. The magnitude of the gravitational force of interaction between the two asteroids is 0.020 N. The acceleration of each asteroid can be found using Newton's second law, and the period of the circular orbits can be determined using the centripetal acceleration and the radius of the orbit. The center of mass of the system can also be used to find the distances and ultimately the period of the orbits.
needhelp83
Two small asteroids orbit each other in circular orbits. The distance between the centers
of the two asteroids is 35 m. The mass of the larger asteroid is 3 x 10 6 kg and the mass of the smaller asteroid is 1.2 x 10 5 kg.
a. )What is the magnitude of the gravitational force of interaction between the
two asteroids?
b.) What is the acceleration of each asteroid?
c.) What is the period of the circular orbits of each of the two asteroids?
Ignore the force of the sun acting on the asteroids for parts b & c.

a)F= Gm1m2/r2=(6.667*10-11 Nm2/kg2)(3*106 kg)(1.2*105 kg)/(35 m)2=0.020 N

b)I am try to find r, so I can insert into this equation:
g'=GmE/r^2

This is the equation i used to determine rE:
rE=sqrt(Gme/g)
I got, re=0.0009037 m

That doesn't look right to me
Any help?

c)How do I solve for the period of circular orbits?

Physics news on Phys.org
needhelp83 said:
Two small asteroids orbit each other in circular orbits. The distance between the centers
of the two asteroids is 35 m. The mass of the larger asteroid is 3 x 10 6 kg and the mass of the smaller asteroid is 1.2 x 10 5 kg.
a. )What is the magnitude of the gravitational force of interaction between the
two asteroids?
b.) What is the acceleration of each asteroid?
c.) What is the period of the circular orbits of each of the two asteroids?
Ignore the force of the sun acting on the asteroids for parts b & c.

a)F= Gm1m2/r2=(6.667*10-11 Nm2/kg2)(3*106 kg)(1.2*105 kg)/(35 m)2=0.020 N

b)I am try to find r, so I can insert into this equation:
g'=GmE/r^2

This is the equation i used to determine rE:
rE=sqrt(Gme/g)
I got, re=0.0009037 m

That doesn't look right to me
Any help?

c)How do I solve for the period of circular orbits?
Are you trying to do this with reduced mass? If so, look here

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/orbv.html#rm

You don't have to do it this way, and since you know the force, that acceleration is easily found from Newton's second law. The period is a bit more difficult because the center of the circular orbit is the center of mass of the system. Each asteroid has its own acceleration, and its own distance from the center of motion. You can find the center of mass and use it do find the distances for each object, or you can convert to the equivalent reduced mass problem.

Okay I got b figured out, but now I am just looking at c

I know there is a Kepler's law, but not sure how to incorporate this.

Any help?

needhelp83 said:
Okay I got b figured out, but now I am just looking at c

I know there is a Kepler's law, but not sure how to incorporate this.

Any help?
There is a Kepler law, but you don't need it. You know the acceleration and you know the motion is circular. If you found the distance to the CM, that is the radius of the circle. You can find the CM if you need it. From the acceleration and the radius, you can find the speed (centripetal acceleration) and from the speed and the radius you can find the period. Both of course have the same period.

What is gravitational interaction between two orbits?

Gravitational interaction between two orbits refers to the force of attraction between two objects due to their mass and distance. This force is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and moons in orbit around planets.

How does gravitational interaction affect the motion of objects in orbit?

Gravitational interaction causes objects in orbit to continuously accelerate towards each other, creating a curved path around their center of mass. This results in a stable orbit, as the centripetal force from the gravitational attraction balances out the object's inertia.

What factors affect the strength of gravitational interaction between two orbits?

The strength of gravitational interaction is dependent on the masses of the objects and the distance between them. The greater the mass of the objects, the stronger the gravitational pull, and the closer the objects are, the stronger the pull as well.

Can gravitational interaction between two orbits be broken or stopped?

No, gravitational interaction is a fundamental force of nature and cannot be broken or stopped. However, the strength of the gravitational force can be weakened by increasing the distance between the objects or by decreasing their masses.

How does the law of universal gravitation explain gravitational interaction between two orbits?

The law of universal gravitation, developed by Sir Isaac Newton, states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This explains the gravitational interaction between two orbits as the force of attraction between their masses at a given distance.