Gravitational lensing: deriving magnification of lensed image

In summary, the image magnification in gravitational lensing can be defined as the ratio of the image area over the source area or as the determinant of the jacobian of the lens equation. However, it is not clear how these two definitions are equivalent. Further research, such as looking at pages 63-65 in the book "Gravitational Lensing" by Scott Dodelson, suggests that the image area over the source area is equivalent to d^2(θ)/(dβ)^2, but the use of the determinant in this calculation is still unclear. More understanding is needed on this topic.
astrostudent21
TL;DR Summary
In gravitational lensing, the image magnification is defined as the image size over the source size. But many texts also give it as the determinant of the jacobian of the of the lens equation. How are these equivalent?
In gravitational lensing, the image magnification is defined as the image area over the source area. But many texts also give it as the inverse of the determinant of the jacobian, A, of the of the lens equation. My question is how these are equivalent.

The lens equation is β=θ-α(Dlens-source)/(Dlens)
The jacobian that describes it is then

Screenshot 2020-12-03 164231.png

many texts say that we can calculate the magnification as μ=1/det[A], but I have not found one that actually derives this relation from the initial definition of the magnification as the ratio of the image and source areas. I would really appreciate help from anyone who has experience with this topic!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
astrostudent21 said:
Summary:: In gravitational lensing, the image magnification is defined as the image size over the source size. But many texts also give it as the determinant of the jacobian of the of the lens equation. How are these equivalent?

Have you looked at pages 63 - 65 in the book "Gravitational Lensing" by scott Dodelson? I was able to use the LOOK INSIDE! feature of Amazon to look at these pages.

George Jones said:
Have you looked at pages 63 - 65 in the book "Gravitational Lensing" by scott Dodelson? I was able to use the LOOK INSIDE! feature of Amazon to look at these pages.
Thank you so much for pointing me towards that book. I suppose what I was overlooking was that the image area over the source area is really the same thing as d^2(θ)/(dβ)^2 . I think I am on the right track now.

EDIT: Hmmm... actually I am not quite following the logic here. If mu = d^2(θ)/(dβ)^2, and dβ/dθ given by the matrix A, it seems to me that mu = (A^-1)^2, not det(A)^-1. I am not seeing where the determinant comes in. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

1. What is gravitational lensing?

Gravitational lensing is a phenomenon in which the light from a distant object is bent and distorted by the gravitational pull of a massive object, such as a galaxy or a cluster of galaxies, between the object and the observer. This results in an amplification and distortion of the image of the distant object, making it appear brighter and larger.

2. How is the magnification of a lensed image derived?

The magnification of a lensed image is derived by comparing the observed brightness and size of the lensed image to the expected brightness and size of the source object. This is done by analyzing the distortion of the image and using mathematical models to calculate the magnification factor.

3. What factors affect the magnification of a lensed image?

The magnification of a lensed image is affected by several factors, including the mass and distribution of the lensing object, the distance between the lensing object and the source object, and the alignment of the objects. The shape and orientation of the lensing object also play a role in determining the magnification.

4. Can gravitational lensing be used to study distant objects?

Yes, gravitational lensing can be used as a powerful tool for studying distant objects, such as galaxies and quasars, that would otherwise be too faint or small to be observed directly. By analyzing the magnification and distortion of the lensed images, scientists can gather information about the properties and evolution of these distant objects.

5. How is gravitational lensing related to Einstein's theory of general relativity?

Gravitational lensing is a direct consequence of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes how massive objects can bend and distort the fabric of space-time. The theory predicts that the gravitational field of a massive object can act as a lens, bending and magnifying the light from distant objects behind it. Gravitational lensing has been observed and confirmed as a key prediction of general relativity.