GRE with 3 years of Bachelors degree?

In summary, the speaker is currently in their 3rd year of B.Sc Physics and is looking to apply for a Masters degree. They are wondering if they need a 4-year bachelor's degree to be admitted for Postgraduate studies through the GRE exam, and if there are any universities outside India that will accept their 3-year course. They are also seeking advice on which courses to pursue while doing their postgraduate studies. The speaker is advised to Google up different universities and their admissions requirements, as well as contact the authorities for administering the GRE. They are also recommended to research different universities and professors in their field of interest, and to use resources such as arxiv.org to find interesting research papers.
deep838
Hi, I am currently in my 3rd and final year of B.Sc Physics. Soon I'll have to start applying for a Masters degree. Is it true that you need 4 years of bachelor degree to get admitted for Postgraduate via GRE exam? If so, is there any university outside India which will accept my 3 year course? Also, it'll be helpful if someone can tell me about the various courses worth pursuing while doing postgraduate course.

Physics news on Phys.org
For admissions to various schools the best thing to do is Google up those schools. Look for their web sites with their contact info and their admissions info. If their admissions requirement info isn't on their web page, drop them an email and ask for details. Be nice, but be concise. Universities probably get a lot of such requests, so a short clear letter is best.

Different schools and different programs will have different requirements. This is especially true if you consider different countries. But even two schools next to each other on the same street could have very different requirements.

For what it takes to do the GRE you should probably contact somebody in authority for administering the GRE. Again, Google is your friend. Find out who sets the exam and what the general requirements for taking it are. If these are not on the web page(s) for the GRE then contact them.

For what courses to take: You need to decide what general area you are interested in. Then Google up the course catalog of some universities you are interested in. Treat their course listing as an all-you-can-learn buffet. See what you would like to take. See what courses they require for various degrees.

For graduate degrees it is usual for interaction with a professor to be much more direct and research oriented than in a B.Sc. So you will want to try to get a prof you can work with, and who does work you are interested in. Once again, Google is your friend. Look at the web sites for some universities and find profs who do work you find interesting. Another interesting resource is this:

http://arxiv.org/

This is a collection of preprints. That is, papers written by various researchers that at the time of submission to arxiv had not yet been published. Have a look and see what looks interesting. Then find the authors and their home university.

1. What is the GRE?

The GRE, or Graduate Record Examination, is a standardized test used for admissions into graduate and business schools. It measures verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing skills.

2. What is the format of the GRE?

The GRE consists of three sections: verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing. The verbal and quantitative sections are multiple choice, and the analytical writing section requires test takers to write two essays.

3. Do I need to have a 4-year degree to take the GRE?

No, you do not need a 4-year degree to take the GRE. However, most graduate and business schools require a 4-year degree for admission, so it is recommended that you have at least a 3-year bachelor's degree before taking the GRE.

4. Can I still get into a graduate program with only a 3-year bachelor's degree?

It depends on the graduate program. Some programs may accept a 3-year bachelor's degree, while others may require a 4-year degree. It is best to check with the specific program you are interested in to see their requirements.

5. How do I prepare for the GRE with only a 3-year bachelor's degree?

There are many resources available for preparing for the GRE, including study guides, practice tests, and online courses. It is also recommended to review the material covered in your bachelor's degree to refresh your knowledge. Additionally, practicing time management and test-taking strategies can also be helpful in preparing for the GRE.