Greater degree of the slope=faster acceleration, historical backgroud

In summary, the conversation discussed the discovery of the relationship between angle and acceleration, as well as the historical background of this phenomena. It was mentioned that Pythagoras, Galileo, and Newton all contributed to the understanding of this concept. Galileo's experiments with inclined planes were also referenced as a key development in understanding acceleration.
m_p_w
Is there a physicist who has discovered this, and could you explain how he/she did it or give me?
Yes I know, I have asked almost the same question, but I need both of them.

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
What slope? Acceleration of what? Your question is incredibly vague and non-specific.

Giving you as much work as went into your question:
Pythagoras,Galileo, and Newton.

The perfect example of this is:
you have a wooden plank and when you put a toy car on it, it won't move.
But when you lift it then the toy car will accelerate, and when you lift it more then the toy car will accelerate even faster.
But then I have this question if there is a particular historical background of this phenomena? or it does not have one, and it can only be explained by the Newton's laws.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. Are you asking who discovered that a ball will roll down a hill?!

Larger angle = larger acceleration was probably discovered intuitively by some caveman.

Around the times of Galileo and thenNewton, there were experiments which gave numerical results. The ideas of proportionality and resolving vectors came in around then (I believe). As Astrum says, there was intuitive (sometimes erroneous) appreciation of these things thousands of years before they were regularised and formulated. The Greeks had quite a lot to say but there was more arm waving than experimenting at that time.
If you're looking for an actual date for this, then there won't have been one - any more than with any major steps forward in Science.
You might as well ask about dates / events relating to the invention of cooking or metallurgy. It wasn't like that.

Galileo did systematic experiments with objects rolling down inclined planes. A Google search for "Galileo inclined plane" turns up some useful links.

jtbell thank you so much, I have found what i was looking for

1. How does the slope of an object affect its acceleration?

The slope of an object refers to the steepness of its trajectory or path. A greater slope indicates a steeper path and therefore a faster rate of change in position over time. This faster rate of change in position is known as acceleration. So, a greater degree of slope leads to faster acceleration.

2. What is the historical background of the relationship between slope and acceleration?

The concept of slope and acceleration has been studied and developed by many scientists throughout history. Galileo Galilei was the first to propose the idea that objects with different slopes will accelerate at different rates. Later, Sir Isaac Newton's laws of motion further explained the relationship between slope and acceleration, stating that a greater slope results in a greater force and therefore a greater acceleration.

3. How can we calculate the acceleration of an object based on its slope?

To calculate the acceleration of an object based on its slope, we can use the formula a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the slope. This formula applies to objects moving on an inclined plane or ramp.

4. Does the slope always have a direct relationship with acceleration?

No, the slope does not always have a direct relationship with acceleration. While a greater slope generally results in faster acceleration, there are other factors that can affect an object's acceleration, such as mass, air resistance, and friction. For example, a heavy object with a small slope may have a slower acceleration than a lighter object with a greater slope.

5. How is the relationship between slope and acceleration important in scientific research?

The relationship between slope and acceleration is crucial in many areas of scientific research, such as physics, engineering, and sports science. Understanding how an object's slope affects its acceleration can help scientists and engineers design more efficient and effective machines and structures. In sports science, it can help coaches and athletes optimize their training and performance by analyzing the slopes of different movements and their corresponding accelerations.