Ground State in Peskin and Schroeder

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of $$e^{-iHT}\ket{0}$$ in P&S and the claim that by letting $$T\to (\infty(1-i\epsilon)) $$, the other terms in the equation die off much quicker than $$e^{-iE_0T}$$. The reason for this is due to the small imaginary term in T, which leads to an e-x behavior. The conversation also touches on the importance of adding an infinitesimal imaginary part to T in order to get the correct propagator and adiabatic switching in vacuum QFT perturbation theory. The textbook "Bjorken and Drell" is recommended as a good reference for learning more about vacuum QFT
Diracobama2181
TL;DR Summary
I am having a little confusion regarding the limit taken in Peskin and Schroeders quantum field theory book in ch. 4.
In P&S, it is shown that $$e^{-iHT}\ket{0}=e^{-iH_{0}T}\ket{\Omega}\bra{\Omega}\ket{0}+\sum_{n\neq 0}e^{-iE_nT}\ket{n}\bra{n}\ket{0}$$.
It is then claimed that by letting $$T\to (\infty(1-i\epsilon)) $$ that the other terms die off much quicker than $$e^{-iE_0T}$$, but my question is why is this the case? For example, why wouldn't the other terms also die off quicker if we simply sent $$T\to \infty$$ instead? Perhaps there is something about the limit of complex numbers I'm not understanding. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I think I figured it our. I mistakenly assumed the $$e^{-iE_n T}\to 0$$ as $$T\to \infty$$, but that is not the case, which is why the substitution is needed.

Yes, it's only the small imaginary term in T that leads to an e-x behavior. The real term just leads to oscillation.

It becomes much clearer by "renormalizing" the Hamiltonian such that ##E_0=0##, i.e., the ground state energy eigenvalue is set to 0 by shifting the total energy of the system (represented by the Hamilton operator) by adding a constant such that ##E_0=0##. Then all ##E_n>0##.

Now it is utmost important to add an infinitesimal imaginary part to ##T##, i.e., substituting ##T \rightarrow T-\mathrm{i} \epsilon##. This is crucial for all further developments of the theory to get the correct propagator (in vacuum QFT perturbation theory the time-ordered free-field propagator) and the correct "adiabatic switching" for the LSZ reduction. This is a pretty subtle point and should be very well studied!

vanhees71 said:
It becomes much clearer by "renormalizing" the Hamiltonian such that ##E_0=0##, i.e., the ground state energy eigenvalue is set to 0 by shifting the total energy of the system (represented by the Hamilton operator) by adding a constant such that ##E_0=0##. Then all ##E_n>0##.

Now it is utmost important to add an infinitesimal imaginary part to ##T##, i.e., substituting ##T \rightarrow T-\mathrm{i} \epsilon##. This is crucial for all further developments of the theory to get the correct propagator (in vacuum QFT perturbation theory the time-ordered free-field propagator) and the correct "adiabatic switching" for the LSZ reduction. This is a pretty subtle point and should be very well studied!

Can you perhaps say a bit more about vacuum QFT and adiabatic switching. Recently I saw these terms more frequently and would like to know more about them. Do you know a good reference to read about this subject?

That's one of the points which are very nicely and carefully presented in the classic textbook by Bjorken and Drell (of course the 2nd volume on quantum field theory; the 1st volume is not so much my favorite ;-)).

Likes M91
Do you also happen to know which chapter? I think its either: chapter 16 Vacuum Expectation Values and S-Matrix or, chapter 17 Perturbation Theory

I'd say both chapters are worth to be carefully studied. It's a pretty concise formulation of LSZ reduction and the perturbative evaluation of the S-matrix elements.

Likes M91

1. What is the ground state in Peskin and Schroeder?

The ground state, also known as the vacuum state, is the lowest energy state of a quantum system described in Peskin and Schroeder's book "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory". It is the state with no particles present and is used as a reference point for measuring energy levels in the system.

2. How is the ground state defined in Peskin and Schroeder's book?

In Peskin and Schroeder's book, the ground state is defined as the state with the lowest energy, which is the expectation value of the Hamiltonian operator in that state. This state is denoted as |0⟩ and is used as the starting point for creating excited states by applying creation operators on it.

3. What is the significance of the ground state in quantum field theory?

The ground state is of great importance in quantum field theory as it serves as a reference point for calculating the energy of other states. It also plays a crucial role in the calculation of vacuum energy and the renormalization of quantum field theory.

4. Can the ground state be observed experimentally?

No, the ground state cannot be observed directly as it is a theoretical concept. However, its effects can be observed through the behavior of excited states and the calculation of vacuum energy in experiments.

5. How is the ground state related to the Higgs field in the Standard Model of particle physics?

In the Standard Model, the ground state is associated with the Higgs field, which is responsible for giving mass to particles. The ground state of the Higgs field is known as the Higgs vacuum and is responsible for the spontaneous symmetry breaking in the electroweak interaction, leading to the generation of mass for particles.