Grounded conductor and Electric field potential question ?

In summary: It is not zero.)In summary, the problem involves three shells of radii R1, R2, and R3, with five surface charge densities σ1, σ2, σ3, σ4, and σ5. The charge distribution on each shell can be determined by setting up equations based on the given information and using the superposition principle. It is not correct to assume that q2=-q1 and q3=q1+q2.
Karamany

Homework Statement

upload_2016-12-11_21-52-59.png

[/B]

Homework Equations

V= kq/r.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

For 8-8, I do not really know how to approach it.
For 8-14 , I think that q2=-q1 and q3=q1+q2.
I can now use V=kq/r and then find the equations for r>R3 , r=R3 , R2<r<R3 , r=R2 and R1<r<R2 and then graph. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
For 8-8 - the question tells you how to approach it.
Sketch the situation, then, using a dotted line, sketch the potentials for each ball separately.
Then apply the superposition principle - draw in the result as a bold line.

For 8-14 - please show your reasoning about the charges, ... ie. what happens to the charge distribution on sphere 2 and why?

Karamany said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 110285[/B]

8-14: the "spheres" quoted in the problem are actually shells. There is a central solid sphere or ball of radius R1, then infinitely thin shells of radii R2 and R3.

There are thus 5 surfaces with respective charge densities (from innermost to outermost): σ1, σ2, σ3, σ4 and σ5.
σ1 should be obvious. From that, σ2 should be readily calculated.
That leaves σ3, σ4 and σ5. You can get 3 independent equations in these 3 unknowns. One involving σ4 and σ5 is obvious. One involving σ3 and σ4 should also be apparent; similar idea to σ1 and σ2. For the last equation, force zero E field inside the grounded shell.
Having all 5 surface charge densities enables you to compute everything else.
For 8-14 , I think that q2=-q1 and q3=q1+q2.
I can now use V=kq/r and then find the equations for r>R3 , r=R3 , R2<r<R3 , r=R2 and R1<r<R2 and then graph. Am I right?
I don't think so. For one thing that would make q3 = 0.

1. What is a grounded conductor?

A grounded conductor, also known as an earthed conductor, is a conducting material that is connected to the ground. It is used to protect against electric shock and to provide a low resistance path for fault currents.

2. How is a grounded conductor different from a neutral conductor?

A grounded conductor is connected to the ground, while a neutral conductor is connected to the power source. A grounded conductor is used for safety purposes, while a neutral conductor is used to carry return currents.

3. What is the purpose of grounding a conductor?

The purpose of grounding a conductor is to provide a safe path for electrical currents to flow. This helps to prevent electric shocks and protects equipment from damage due to high voltage surges.

4. What is electric field potential?

Electric field potential, also known as voltage, is the measure of the strength of an electric field at a certain point. It is measured in volts and is used to determine the amount of energy needed to move a unit of charge from one point to another within the electric field.

5. How is electric field potential related to grounded conductors?

Grounded conductors play a role in determining the electric field potential at a certain point. The presence of a grounded conductor can affect the strength and distribution of the electric field in its surroundings, which in turn affects the electric field potential at that point.