Group Dissertation (Impact Loading)

In summary, the group is working on a dissertation about the effect of using nano-ceramics on the strength of composite plates subjected to dynamic (impact) load. The initial focus was on investigating the characteristics of impact, and some principles related to impact loading have been identified, such as impulse, conservation of linear momentum, coefficient of restitution, and inelastic and elastic collisions. The task also includes studying the effect of impact on materials and what properties they require to withstand impact loads. So far, it has been noted that materials are more brittle with impact loads, Hertizian contact stress is important, impact resistance decreases with Young's modulus of elasticity, and resilient materials have better impact resistance. The group is also considering other effects and material properties
BenjineerM
Hello Everyone,

I am seeking some guidance in a topic related to my group dissertation subject. The exact title of the dissertation is 'Investigation on the effect of using nano-ceramics on the strength of composite plates subjected to dynamic (impact) load.'. I had initially been bestowed the job of investigating the characteristics of Impact -.-, so far I have identified that an Impact refers to a large force that occurs over a very small period of time (collision). I have also identified & explained some of the different principles that have important use in understanding the behaviour of colliding bodies, these are:

• Impulse
  • Conservation of Linear Momentum
  • Coefficient of Restitution
  • Inelastic & Elastic Collisions

What other principles relate to Impact loading?

I have also been given the task to study the effect an Impact has on materials, & what properties materials require to be able to withstand impact loads. Know here is what I have wrote about so far:

• Materials are more brittle with impact loads
  • Hertizian contact stress
  • Impact resistance decreases with Young's modulus of elasticity
  • Resilient materials have better impact resistance
  • Ductile materials are more brittle at high velocity loading rates

What other effects should I be considering?
What other material properties increase impact resistance?
How can nano-ceramics be incorporated into composite plates?
What composite material can be considered?

Cheers everyone.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is group dissertation impact loading?

Group dissertation impact loading is a type of research project that focuses on analyzing the effects of sudden or high impact forces on a group or population. This can involve studying the physical, psychological, or social impacts of events such as natural disasters, accidents, or violent incidents on a group of individuals.

2. What are the key components of a group dissertation impact loading study?

A group dissertation impact loading study typically includes a thorough literature review to establish a research gap, a clear research question or hypothesis, a well-defined sample group, a suitable research methodology, data collection and analysis methods, and a discussion of the findings and their implications.

3. How is a group dissertation impact loading study different from an individual dissertation study?

A group dissertation impact loading study differs from an individual dissertation study in that it focuses on the effects of an impact on a larger group or population, rather than just one individual. This type of study may require different research methods and data analysis techniques to account for the complexity and diversity of the group being studied.

4. What are some potential challenges in conducting a group dissertation impact loading study?

Some potential challenges in conducting a group dissertation impact loading study include obtaining ethical approval, recruiting and managing a large and diverse sample group, ensuring data accuracy and reliability, and managing any unexpected events or disruptions during the research process.

5. How can the findings of a group dissertation impact loading study be applied in real-world settings?

The findings of a group dissertation impact loading study can be applied in various real-world settings, such as informing disaster response and recovery strategies, improving safety protocols in high-risk industries, or developing interventions to support individuals and communities affected by traumatic events. These findings can also contribute to the existing body of knowledge and inform future research in this area.