Group theory paper suggestions for my classes

In summary, In general, I teach group theory following papers by E. Noether and Tinkham. I find that a paper is more useful, and students dive deeper into the book when they have to read it to understand another shorter text.
Gerson J Ferreira
I teach group theory for physicists, and I like to teach it following some papers. In general my students work with condensed matter, so I discuss group theory following these papers:

These are great papers to follow, since both discuss group theory superficially as they apply it to interesting physical problems. So, in the class we read these papers and fill the gaps following traditional books (e.g. Tinkham).

Now I'm looking for a 3rd paper to follow in the same manner as above, and introduce an applied discussion over Lie algebras and continuous groups in general. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks! It is a bit long, but seems useful for my purposes.

Ideally, I would like something more like a paper, rather than a book. I mean... a short text that has some interesting developments regarding Lie groups or Lie algebras, but it is not self-contained, thus requiring the students to go for the books to fill the gaps. There are other books with applications and so on, but I find that the students dive deeper in the books when they have to read it to understand another shorter text.

Gerson J Ferreira said:
thanks! It is a bit long, but seems useful for my purposes.
You could cut it by chapters.
Ideally, I would like something more like a paper, rather than a book. I mean... a short text that has some interesting developments regarding Lie groups or Lie algebras, but it is not self-contained, thus requiring the students to go for the books to fill the gaps. There are other books with applications and so on, but I find that the students dive deeper in the books when they have to read it to understand another shorter text.
You could give them the original papers of E. Noether. I don't know any translations, but I'm sure there are some on the internet. Hopefully they will have translated the historical language as well for otherwise, this will be an additional difficulty. However, these two papers are the reason Lie groups become famous in physics at all.

Maybe the short essay about SU(2) I wrote as an insight would do:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/representations-precision-important/ (about the abuse of language by physicists here)
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/journey-manifold-su2mathbbc-part/ (about SU(2), 2 parts)
It's not very complicated, but of course doesn't contain the calculations or proofs, which must be done personally, resp. searched in the literature. The second part is a bit more about the Lie algebra, so I'm not sure whether this fits your goal.

I would go with Noether.

Likes berkeman
What I think is extremely important in a class on group theory in condensed matter is to teach the insight that (almost) all relevant symmetry operations are sub-groups of the symmetry of nuclear permutations. A classic paper which is not too difficult is:
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/00268976300100501

1. What is group theory?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of groups, which are mathematical structures that consist of a set of elements and a binary operation that combines two elements to form a third element. It is a fundamental theory in abstract algebra and has many applications in physics, chemistry, and cryptography.

2. Why is group theory important for my classes?

Group theory is a powerful tool for understanding and analyzing complex systems. In mathematics, it is used to study symmetry and patterns, while in other fields such as physics and chemistry, it is used to describe the behavior of particles and molecules. It can also be applied in computer science and engineering for data analysis and optimization.

3. What are some suggested topics for a group theory paper?

Some possible topics for a group theory paper include the classification of finite simple groups, the applications of group theory in crystallography, the use of group theory in music theory, and the connections between group theory and geometry. Other interesting topics include the applications of group theory in coding theory and the use of group theory in the study of Rubik's cube.

4. Are there any real-life applications of group theory?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of group theory. As mentioned before, it has applications in physics, chemistry, and computer science. It is also used in economics to study voting systems and in social sciences to analyze group behavior. In addition, group theory has been applied in art and design, specifically in the creation of tessellations and patterns.

5. Is group theory a difficult subject to understand?

Group theory can be challenging for some students because it involves abstract concepts and advanced mathematical techniques. However, with proper guidance and practice, it can be mastered. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra and mathematical reasoning before studying group theory. Additionally, the use of visual aids and examples can make it easier to understand the concepts.