Groups that cannot be the direct product of subgroups

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that neither the group ##Z_{p^n}## nor the group ##\mathbb{Z}## can be written as a direct product of its subgroups. The first attempt at a solution is shown to be incomplete, and alternative proofs are provided for both groups. The only potential issue with the proof for ##\mathbb{Z}## is raised, but is later resolved by the fact that products preserve isomorphism.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

I am trying to show that neither ##Z_{p^n}## nor ##\mathbb{Z}## can be written as any family of its proper subgroups.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I believe this solution (http://www.auburn.edu/~huanghu/math7310/7310-hw2-answer.pdf see problem 6) is falls short of what it purports to prove, since it only proves that ##Z_{p^n}## and ##\mathbb{Z}## cannot be the direct product of two of its subgroups. Am I right? If so, here are my proofs.

First we deal with ##Z_{p^n}##. By way of contradiction, suppose that it is the direct product of subgroups ##H_1 \times ... \times H_k##, each of which must be cyclic since ##Z_{p^n}## is cyclic. Then the order of this product is ##p^n##. Moreover, ##|H_i|## divides the order of the product, and therefore ##|H_i| = p^{n_i}## for some ##n_i =1,...,n##. But this means that the orders of the subgroups are not pairwise relatively prime and therefore cannot be cyclic, which is a contradiction.

Here's the only problem I can identify with the above proof. Although I have already proven that a product of cyclic groups is cyclic iff their orders are pairwise relatively prime, this fact hasn't yet appeared at the point of this problem in the book, so strictly speaking it isn't available. So, how would one proof it without appeal to this theorem.

Here is a proof of the same fact concerning ##\mathbb{Z}##. By way of contradiction, suppose that it is the direct product ##\prod_{n \in I} n \mathbb{Z}##. Now, since ##\mathbb{Z}## is an infinite cyclic group, each proper subgroup is cyclic to ##\mathbb{Z}##. Hence, ##\prod_{n \in I} n \mathbb{Z} \simeq \prod_{n \in I} \mathbb{Z}##. But this product is not cyclic, for if ##(z_n)_{n \in I}## is a generator of it, and ##e_k \in \prod_{n \in I} \mathbb{Z}## has ##1## in its ##k##-th coordinate and zeros elsewhere, then ##(pz_n)_{n \in I} = e_k## implies ##z_i = 0## for every ##i \neq k##. But since this holds for every ##k \in I##, we must have ##z_i = 0## for every ##i \in I##. But zero cannot generate the product ##\prod_{n \in I} \mathbb{Z}##, which is a contradiction.

Does this seem right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Drats! I just read somewhere that isomorphism is not necessarily preserved by products of groups, so my proof for ##\mathbb{Z}## may fail...Is this true? Is there a way to fix it?

EDIT: Never mind. I products should preserve isomorphism.

Last edited:

What is a group?

A group is a mathematical concept that consists of a set of elements and a binary operation that combines any two elements to form a third element within the set. Groups have specific properties, such as closure, associativity, identity element, and inverse element.

What is a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that satisfies all the same properties as the original group. In other words, a subgroup is a smaller group that is contained within a larger group.

What does it mean for a group to be the direct product of subgroups?

If a group G can be written as the direct product of two subgroups H and K, then every element in G can be uniquely expressed as a product of an element in H and an element in K. This is denoted as G = H x K.

What are some examples of groups that cannot be the direct product of subgroups?

Examples include the symmetric group Sn for n≥3, the alternating group An for n≥5, and the quaternion group Q8.

What is the significance of groups that cannot be the direct product of subgroups?

Groups that cannot be written as the direct product of subgroups are called simple groups and they play a crucial role in abstract algebra. They have applications in various areas of mathematics, such as number theory, geometry, and cryptography.