Gruneisen Parameter Ashcroft & Mermin Chapter 25: Exploring the Result

• I
  • Thread starter hgandh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parameter
In summary, the Gruneisen Parameters are defined as the negative ratio of volume to the partial derivative of normal mode frequencies with respect to volume. The volume of the crystal is defined as the initial volume multiplied by (1+η)^3, where η is a small value. Altering the volume causes a change in the dynamical matrix, resulting in a change in the normal mode frequencies. The Gruneisen Parameter can be calculated by taking the ratio of the change in dynamical matrix to the square of the normal mode frequency. However, obtaining this result involves plugging in the expression for the new frequencies, which can be challenging.
hgandh
Ashcroft & Mermin Chapter 25, the Gruneisen Parameters are defined as:
$$\gamma_{ks}=-\frac V {\omega_{ks}} \frac {\partial {\omega_{ks}}} {\partial V}$$
where the normal mode frequencies are defined by the eigenvalue equation:
$$ M \omega^2 \epsilon = D(k) \epsilon $$
The volume of the crystal is defined by:
$$ V = V_o(1+\eta)^3$$ with $$\eta << 1$$
The effect of altering the volume is a change in the dynamical matrix that governs the eigenvalue equation. To linear order:
$$D(k) \to D(k) + \eta \delta D(k)$$
The normal mode frequencies change by:
$$\omega \to \omega + \eta \frac {\epsilon \delta D(k) \epsilon} {2M \omega} = \omega + \eta \delta \omega$$
The Gruneisen Parameter becomes:
$$\gamma = \frac {\epsilon \delta D(k) \epsilon} {6M \omega^2}$$
However, I am having trouble obtaining this result. After plugging in the expression for the new frequencies I have so far:
$$- \frac {1 + \eta} {3(\omega + \eta \delta \omega)} \delta \omega$$
I do not know how to proceed after this to get the required result.

Physics news on Phys.org
hgandh said:
After plugging in the expression for the new frequencies I have so far:
$$- \frac {1 + \eta} {3(\omega + \eta \delta \omega)} \delta \omega$$
I do not know how to proceed after this to get the required result.
Use ##\eta\ll 1##.

1. What is the Gruneisen parameter?

The Gruneisen parameter is a quantity used in solid state physics to describe the relationship between the volume and temperature of a material. It is defined as the ratio of the change in volume to the change in temperature, and is denoted by the symbol γ.

2. How is the Gruneisen parameter calculated?

The Gruneisen parameter can be calculated using the formula γ = -V(∂P/∂V)_T, where V is the volume, P is the pressure, and T is the temperature. This formula is derived from the thermodynamic relationship between the volume, pressure, and temperature of a material.

3. What is the significance of the Gruneisen parameter in solid state physics?

The Gruneisen parameter is important in understanding the thermal and mechanical properties of materials. It can be used to calculate the thermal expansion coefficient, specific heat, and other thermodynamic properties of a material. It also provides insights into the vibrational behavior of atoms in a crystal lattice.

4. How does the Gruneisen parameter relate to the Debye model?

The Gruneisen parameter is closely related to the Debye model of lattice vibrations. In the Debye model, the Gruneisen parameter is used to account for the anharmonicity of lattice vibrations, which can affect the thermal properties of a material. It is also used in the Debye model to calculate the specific heat of a material at high temperatures.

5. Can the Gruneisen parameter be experimentally measured?

Yes, the Gruneisen parameter can be experimentally measured using techniques such as thermal expansion measurements, ultrasonic measurements, and Brillouin scattering. These methods allow for the determination of the change in volume and temperature of a material, which can then be used to calculate the Gruneisen parameter.